UKC

Help me decide where to go on holiday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SteGo 28 Jul 2015
I'm planning on going on a spontaneous(ish) holiday (likely in September) with my brother, and we're having trouble deciding where to go. As we're both avid walkers, I figured that the best way to narrow down travel destinations would be to get some recommendations as to where has some excellent places to hike.

Be as vague or as specific as you like! For affordability reasons, mainland Europe is primarily on the radar, but feel free to try and convince me to splash out and go further afield. That said, somewhere abroad is a dead certainty - we've done the UK to death and want to mix it up a bit!

Cheers!
 Dell 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:

Northern Spain, Picos de Europa.

Crete, Samaria Gorge.
 Alan M 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:
I was in Bosnia last summer.....beautiful!!. I am desperate to get back over there for climbing seen so many summer and potential winter lines to have a crack at also.

What about Romania? I am heading to the Carpathians in January for winter walking but I believe the walking is good there all year round same with Bulgaria.

Also, never got to walk here as I wasn't on a mountain trip but the mountains in Montenegro and Albania looked stunning also.
Post edited at 12:03
 Oogachooga 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:

Pyrenees, Switzerland, dolomites, south Germany.
 girlymonkey 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:

Crimea (no joke, cracking place for a walking holiday.)
 felt 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Alan M:

Yes, Rila mountains are really good.
 Gazlynn 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:

Have a look at Slovenia

Had a great holiday there early Sept a couple of years ago.

A few family photos here if you can be bother to sift through

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garethlynn/sets/72157635558931096

cheers

Gaz

mbh 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:
Pyrenees.

We just got back from 8 days of walking in the eastern Pyrenees and foothills on the French side. Fly to Toulouse, train south to Foix or Merens les Vals, then up!

We only scratched the surface and will be going back. We did part of the Cathar Way (three days out from Foix to Montsegur, good if you like history), and then a day south to Ax on the GR107, but I much preferred the actual walking once we got up into the cooler Pyrenees themselves on the GR10. There are lots of well waymarked options, and more rustic character in the villages than in the Dolomites (which I also loved) where the impact of the ski industry is much more pronounced (from my limited experience of one visit).

We did parts of the GR107 , GR10 and the Carlit Route on the Carlit Massif. There are refuges, and you can wild camp. We camped at the refuges. Had I been alone, I would have spent the whole time on the Haute Route, but it's just as well I wasn't, perhaps, or I wouldn't have happened on Ax les-Thermes and had such a nice day there.

We didn't make up our minds as to what to do until the afternoon we spent in Toulouse on the way there, and in fact changed plans once we got Ax (because the bus to Tarascon only runs on Thursdays!)
Post edited at 14:53
 Toerag 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:

Dolomites will be good, and I'm off to Slovenia in 5 weeks. You avoid the August crowds and prices yet still have nice weather. The only thing you need to do is check when the lifts stop operating - around the 20th september seems to be the cut-off date in the Dolomites.
 Mal Grey 28 Jul 2015
In reply to SteGo:

Was going to suggest the Pyrenees, but already covered.

I'd have Morocco on your list, cheaper once you get there, and only a short hop further away. The Atlas are fantastic, and you get the added bonus of a very different culture to the rest of Europe. Logistics are pretty straightforward, and its easy enough to plan some excellent trekking through passes and valleys, and/or summits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...