UKC

Drill-driver or impact driver for route setting?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Franco Cookson 28 Jul 2015
Okay.. so quite a few questions..

I've always either used a hand key or impact driver for route setting. Often I just use whatever the wall has on offer and don't pay too much attention to what type of drill I'm using.

I think the time has come now to get my own drill for setting. I already have a drill-driver for DIY purposes and wondered if I need to invest in an impact driver as well? If so, what type? I've used ones before that seemed to be way too powerful for the job. I've set after other people have used impact drivers before and loads of the T-nuts seemed shagged.

Could I at least use a drill-driver to remove bolts?

Sean_J 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Franco Cookson:

I find gluing the holds to the wall is the best approach. Stops them spinning then.
 goldmember 28 Jul 2015
Why don't you set routes on well established walls, instead on small backwater venues, see what you made off

Think the impact gives more torque and is more balanced
 maybe_si 28 Jul 2015

I've used most of the 'standard' route setter options, Makita, Hilti etc... But I have recently got a new Dewalt impact 18v brushless etc. So far it's great, the lights are really good because you dont have to have the drill in motion for them to come on and the magnetic pate of the side is very useful for switching between screw ons/bolt ons. Simple things but they make a difference. The 18v is probably overkill I'm sure the 14v would be plenty but that's the one I was bought so I'm not complaining!

maybe_si 28 Jul 2015

Oh, also I forgot to mention, the main reason it's great is because it's really light, about half the weight of my old Hilti which makes a huge difference when you are at the end of your 3rd day on!
 Roger Vickers 04 Aug 2015
In reply to maybe_si:

Here at Boulder uk our 18v Dewalt is on it's second return visit for a faulty chuck. Keeps spitting the bit out. Evidently a fault with this model. Was surprised they have not addressed this, so can't recommend it. Try Hitachi or the cheap Screw fix Eaurber model.
 mwr72 04 Aug 2015

Try not to use a driver/impact driver to start the bolt off, really annoys me when I see setters firing them in willynilly, I've seen goodness knows how many tee nuts cross threaded because of this.

No reason you can't use the driver to remove the bolts.
 Fraser 08 Aug 2015

I recently bought a Bosche GSB 10.8-2-Li which is unbelievably good. The battery is in the pistol grip and lasts very well, and the light just above the trigger helps a lot when I reset my own board. It's got loads of torque whilst still being very compact and has the impact setting if that's what you're after, (although I've never used it in that way when mounting or removing holds.)

I got mine from Screwfix for about £89 a few months ago. Highly recommended.
 Hawky 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Roger Vickers:

deWalt are made by black and decker there well bad these days. no tradesmen bother with them anymore.
 Andy Morley 02 Sep 2015

Knackering the heads and cross threading are because of unskilled or slapdash people using the tools, they're not the tool's fault. Of course you can use impact drivers to take the bolts out, I think you should buy one and test it out - that's what I did. It's not new technology but it's new in the sense that impact drivers are much more widely available than they were, so we need to all get used to them. Quality makes a big difference and I'm not convinced that people who say that all of one particular brand are rubbish are worth listening to - I have a heavy-duty Black and Decker mains-electric hammer-drill that I've used and abused relentlessly for DIY for 15 years and it's still going strong, you have to consider the individual item, where that line was made etc. etc. I've heard good things about De Walt's brushless items and that factor has got to be worth researching.
 tom84 02 Sep 2015

we've got 14v hilti impact drivers at the wall. they're great because you can start the bolt off slowly (the impact doesn't kick in until the bolts tight)

i think theoretically IDs aren't the right tool for route setting, but in practice they work fine. its down to the user, if you're not taking care you'll pop t nuts, cross thread bolts and generally make a mess of things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...