UKC

Recommend me... (a chiro in the leeds/braford area)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rachel Slater 28 Jul 2015
Can anyone recommend me a good chiropractor or osteopath or even a physio who knows a lot about hips in the Leeds/Bradford area? I think my problem is that my hips aren't straight which makes them and my back hurt quite a lot, especially indoor bouldering. I've been doing a lot of stretching which helps a bit but I would like to properly get the problem fixed if possible.

Or if anyone else has had a similar problem, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rachel

Philip 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Rachel Slater:

The profession you're looking for is a doctor - they can be found at your local GP surgery or in A&E. If needed they will refer to a physio.

The other two 'occupations' are varying levels of quackery. You may as well go looking the loch ness monster to reorder your chakra.
 balmybaldwin 28 Jul 2015

A physio is the answer not a chiropractor your doc will refer you, or you might get a recommendation from the local
 Stig 28 Jul 2015
chiro is quack bullshit.

You cannot diagnose yourself.

Get a recommendation for a local Physio.

GP referral route is way too slow for most sport-related injuries
Post edited at 22:22
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2015

A private physio sorted out some knee and back problems I had that all stemmed from uneven hips (apparently many (if not most) of us have wonky hips) - he supplied me with orthotics and various exercises that really helped. He was down in Huddersfield, not sure if he's still down there, but I know my husband used to use (and rate) a physio called Ben in Baildon - I can find his contact details if that's sufficiently within your area.

I do have a friend who's an osteopath based in Bingley, who was explaining to me only this afternoon about the crossovers between osteopathy and physiotherapy, but it's probably best not to go into that here!

I'm now suffering with all sorts of back pain but I barely climb now - perhaps there's a link...
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Stig:

> GP referral route is way to slow for most sport-related injuries

Agreed, and in my experience NHS physios are more suited to 'medical' physio, for want of a better way of putting it, e.g. lungs, that sort of thing.

BnB 28 Jul 2015
Rachel, ignore the negativity and go see Peter Pukacz. He is a chiropractic osteopath (I think that's the right term) in Elland who can diagnose you from your posture before you've even crossed the room to shake his hand. I've lost count of the number of alignment issues he's sorted for my family (including my wife's hip, no less) and for friends. He's also highly regarded by all of Calderdale's sportspersons. I hope it goes well.

http://www.pukacz.co.uk
Post edited at 22:27
 danm 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Philip:

With all due respect, the knowledge of a typical GP regarding pain related to muscle imbalance, referred pain and soft tissue injury ranges from zero to f*** all.

A physio is best (one who understands climbing is best), an osteo is OK and whilst I know many people who swear by their chiro, personally I think its one step away from witchcraft. Don't mess around with your GP, suck up the 30-40 quid and see a physio.
 Stig 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
I've never seen an osteopath but an acquaintance of mine works for various football teams. I assume therefore that they consider their interventions work in some way, whatever the formal evidence base does or doesn't say.

Chiro is definitely absurd though!
 Timmd 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I'm now suffering with all sorts of back pain but I barely climb now - perhaps there's a link...

If you spend a lot of time at a desk that could be a factor, I think most people hunch at desks.
OP Rachel Slater 29 Jul 2015
In reply to BnB:

Thank you! I think I'll give them a go as they're pretty easy for me to get to.
 BnB 29 Jul 2015

Be sure to ask for Peter. Accept no substitutes. He's a magician!!
In reply to Stig:

I haven't diagnosed myself so please don't make assumptions. Thanks!

In reply to BnB:

I wil do
 robal 29 Jul 2015

I read the title as 'churros' and got all excited....

for the uninitiated....

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2459641/churros-with-chocolate-dipping-s...
 Andrew Wilson 29 Jul 2015

Hi Rachel,

I go to a great physio called Rory Holliday. He is based at the LA fitness gym in Yeadon. He used to see people at the Depot but not anymore.
I would highly recommend him.
PM me if you would like his number.

Andy
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

Thanks Andy,

I've already booked a session with Peter Pukacz but if that doesn't work out I might be in touch
 Timmd 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
Continuing my desk tangent, an Alexander Technique practitioner I went to explained how sitting on a chair and at a desk are both pretty unnatural things for the human animal to deal with, that when sitting down we go through the sensation of falling as we hit the chair, and about how the act of sitting feels like some kind of 'in between' position which is neither standing up or lying down - or sitting on the floor, which we're not yet evolved to be quite at ease with, meaning there's a certain amount of tension on a psychological level resulting in us tying ourselves up in knots.

If you've never been to an Alexander practitioner it's worth going just for the 'that's interesting' experience, as well as (hopefully) having something helpful happen as well, I think.
Post edited at 22:07
 Tall Clare 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Hi Tim,

To paraphrase Rachel above, please don't make assumptions on my behalf.

Thanks anyway.
 Timmd 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Fair enough. I was probably carried away with enthusiasm for Alexander Technique as much as I was making assumptions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...