UKC

Anglers Zawn Benllech - whats the approach like at the moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 29 Jul 2015

I will be on Anglesey soon and am planning a visit to the Benllech sport climbing areas. I note there is a recent comment that the approach to the upper tier is very overgrown. Does anyone know if this is this is the case?
 Matadoors 29 Jul 2015
In reply to kipper12:

it wasn't easy to access a couple of months ago. very overgrow. we found the easier routes on the far left (near bubble wall i think) pretty much impossible to access as the small path below the routes appears to disappear, with the only option to traverse on the rock above the brambles and a large drop! did a couple of routes off the beach which were nice though, especially fossil zone
 roger whetton 03 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

The approach is indeed overgrown! I'd go somewhere else...
 Sl@te Head 03 Aug 2015
In reply to roger whetton:

> The approach is indeed overgrown! I'd go somewhere else...

Not going there will not improve the situation, the routes are worthwhile but they do need traffic....
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Agree, the routes are very good and the approach isn't that bad - 10 minutes of thrashing should get you there and the actual rock was pretty clean when i visited last year
 olibear2 13 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Did you get there Kipper12? Did you create a nice path for us to use? Need to know whether to pack the machete!
OP kipper12 13 Aug 2015
In reply to olibear2:

Not got there yet, so machete may be necessary. This sat is a possible though.
 olibear2 13 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Up that way this coming week too. Good luck.
OP kipper12 14 Aug 2015
In reply to olibear2:

If you get there before I do, could you let me know what the approach is like.
 olibear2 20 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Went to upper tier on Tuesday night. Very very good. Walked on coastal path from main Benllech beach parking until the open area beneath caravans (10 mins) then off path to right and found in-situ rope. Once we found the crag the path up wasn't obvious until right by it. It's a jungle but easily managed (wear trousers). Once at foot of the main wall (short crouching traverse left) there were some amazing routes in good condition - bubble wall, Deep heat and Groundless fears. Then got spanked on top of 'a pocketful of pockets'.
 mr mills 21 Aug 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Went over there last weekend hoping to climb some routes on Anglers Zawn, could not get to the bottom of the routes as the brambles was so much overgrown, have done most of the routes here some years ago and they are pretty good, surprised there was so much growth there, needs to be bashed right back for climbers to get back there !!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...