UKC

Summer Weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 31 Jul 2015
Is it my imagination or are the summer temperatures cooler than normal? Apart a few odd days(maybe about ten) I don't think we've had any days where we have been pottering about in tee-shirts etc.

I put a thermometer outside yesterday and I don't think it went above 15C all day - even in the sun.
 Flinticus 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Well, if it is your imagination, I'm caught in your fantasy cause I agree. Another (another!) weekend of mixed weather coming up. Its been hard to catch a consecutive two dry days of sunshine.
aultguish 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Could this just be our normal weather?
I seem to remember when I was doing my ATPL's (aviation exams), one of the subjects was Meteorology and iirc, the UK is supposed to have Low pressure systems throughout summer and High pressure systems throughout winter.
Maybe we are now returning to our standard weather pattern after having a few lucky years?
 girlymonkey 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I have spent the summer finishing a masters degree and writing a dissertation - the weather has been perfect for such activities! Very rarely have I felt that I should have been climbing instead!
Removed User 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

You are correct.
Cooler than 30 years ago. Definite.
Older guys in my pub say cooler than 50 years ago.
Lots of anecdotal evidence to support that.
As kids in March we got new sandals and put our shorts on for the Summer .. .. duvet jackets and wellies seem to be de rigeur now.
aultguish 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

At least it keeps the old Hayfever at bay )
 Mark Bannan 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> I put a thermometer outside yesterday and I don't think it went above 15C all day - even in the sun.

If it was just cold, I would not be so bothered. I have found this a hugely frustrating summer for being washed out of cragging - for me the worst since 2007. At least this summer is probably not "the norm" (hopefully not wishful thinking!). Most years, I tend to be rained off cragging (as opposed to mountain routes) about 5-10% of the time.

However I just had an excellent evening with my mate James at Clashrodney yesterday, so I'm feeling a lot more satisfied now!

jasonC abroad 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Last summer was similar, fairly rubbish though what should be the hottest months but then warm right up until late October.

Might just be the new summer.
OP mypyrex 31 Jul 2015
I also remember the atrocious summer of 2012 when I was trying to prepare for the Annapurna Circuit. All we kept hearing about was "the Jet Stream".
Bingers 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I reckon its the windiest its been for manys the year and therefore, consequently, cooler than usual.

However, I'm currently in France and as from Monday to at least Friday its going to be too hot.
 CurlyStevo 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Dunno where you live. I'm in Edinburgh, lived in e coast Scotland before 6 years, this is by far the coldest 'summer' maybe less than 7 days in total over 20 deg. Rainfall above average but not shocking but it's probably rained way more days at some point than it's been totally dry, that said not many full days of rain Edinburgh does tend to have some rain more days a year than London even though the total rainfall is less. I think only the southern England has had anything like a desent summer so far and that's gone down hill too recently!
Post edited at 21:27
Removed User 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Just got back from Italy after a break there and its been between 33-36c peak temp and around 24c at 4am. It has been a tad hotter than usual for them though. had a potter around the Peak this afternoon and it reminded me why I like our temperate climes

To be fair I always compare the summer of '76 to all others here.
Post edited at 21:39
PamPam 31 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Certainly this year hasn't been great. I can't speak for last year as I spent all of summer out of the country but this year has been pretty disappointing. I wasn't unhappy at having cooler days in the Lake District last week as it made my walking a bit easier, I do need to take on board a lot of water in cooler weather and hot weather when I'm walking means I need a good deal more, but it would have been nice to have clearer weather to get a good view on more of my days. The one continued spell of warm weather wasn't bad earlier this month but it would be nice to get more.
 tehmarks 01 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I've felt the opposite - it's been fairly warm in London. Warm or wet, with not much in-between. I can see where you're coming from though; I was in the Peak last night and today, and thought I was misreading the forecast when it suggested it'd feel like 6C overnight!
 caradoc 01 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
'Oh, it must be global warming'
 Roadrunner5 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> You are correct.

> Cooler than 30 years ago. Definite.

> Older guys in my pub say cooler than 50 years ago.

> Lots of anecdotal evidence to support that.

Apart from temperature records....

Roadrunner5 02 Aug 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Dunno where you live. I'm in Edinburgh, lived in e coast Scotland before 6 years, this is by far the coldest 'summer' maybe less than 7 days in total over 20 deg. Rainfall above average but not shocking but it's probably rained way more days at some point than it's been totally dry, that said not many full days of rain Edinburgh does tend to have some rain more days a year than London even though the total rainfall is less. I think only the southern England has had anything like a desent summer so far and that's gone down hill too recently!

And in Philly we are having our warmest summer for a few years..

Sometimes I wished they'd created a more global term for the warming we see around the world....
 Kimono 02 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

pretty miserable up here in North Wales. Maybe not the wettest, but for sure the coolest....we've had the heating on!

thankfully this is my winter as i spend the real winter in a hot country
 Indy 02 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Been getting up at 05:00 for early morning longish runs and I've been really surprised at how cold its been at that time. Can only think of 1 night where its been too warm to sleep.
 Trangia 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Indy:

Last night it was hot and stuffy went I went to bed, so I had the window wide open. Woke up at 3.30 am freezing cold and had to put a blanket over my duvet.

It's very weird. Now bright and sunny again like yesterday, and forecast for 27 degrees by this afternoon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...