UKC

Stockport 10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 31 Jul 2015
Signed up to do the 10 miler. My first, looking forward to it, Training wise i'm quite fit apart but slight PF flare up. I was thinking of doing the hal higdon 1/2 marathon training program. Would this be overkill? and is it as hilly as my running buddys are making out?
 The New NickB 31 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

It is quite hilly. A half marathon training plan certainly wouldn't be overkill. When you say you are quite fit, what does that mean, do you run much?
OP goldmember 31 Jul 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

before my PF flare up i was out 4 times a week, a mix of tempo/hill reps and gentle 4/5 milers. longer stuff at the weekends 10/12 miles.
completed the Liverpool half recently.
In reply to goldmember:

You should have a pretty good idea about what you are doing then. My main concern would be the PF.

What did you do Liverpool in? Even for a relatively hilly course you should be looking at a pace faster than your half.
In reply to The New NickB:

liverpool for the 14 june - 1.40.
Any ideas for the treatments or what the underlying causes could be?
In reply to goldmember:

I've never had PF, but it seems that it can either naturally go away, or be a problem for years, even with steroid injections. I hope yours is the former.

Do some threshold work as part of your training, ie at 10 mile pace, probably 7 m/m stuff for 30 minutes, with long warm up and warm down.
 Stig 31 Jul 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I did it for the first time last year. It's hilly-ish. One long steady one at about half way and then a shorter one near the end which to be honest isn't really an issue cos you're reaching for home. Couple of sections are a bit rough and muddy.

People rave about it but I found the sections of running on the side of the road a bit annoying. Good atmosphere though.

I'll be doing it again though as build up for a half in March (Cardiff world champs)

There is a half marathon starting in edgeley Park in early september if you're interested.
In reply to Stig:

Excellent have also heard good things, i may see you. White race suit and white helmet ?

Can't do that weekend sadly, i may do the 4 villages in January, to try stop the rot over christmas
 Roadrunner5 01 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:

My PF was calf/ankle issues. Massages of the PF with frozen bottles helped but the main issue was lots of stretching and ankle flex work..

I think a half plan is fine.. But get long runs in, 13-14 miles, then a few harder efforts (tempo work just quicker than your 10 mile pace), shorter races and general runs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...