UKC

Suggestions for day walks/scrambles/easy-climbs in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 31 Jul 2015
So I'm going with the other half for a 3 day trip to the Lakes and planning to make the most of it, while avoiding any crying. She's quite capable in many ways - having recently walked with me 100km in just over 24 hours, recently done some almost-alpine days in New Zealand (one of which was 11 hours and began in the dark, the other was about 12 hours, involving a few kms of crumbling knife-edge, scree climbing and many, many loose rocks), but then crying on winter walks in Wales.
So with that said, I'm looking for some recommendations for solid days we can do, which are not too comitting. We had a quick look at the map together, and she liked the idea of making a loop, taking Striding edge up to Hellvellyn and returning to the carpark via another path. She also liked the idea of heading up Scafell/Scafell Pike as a long day coming via Crinkly Crags. She has also said that she would like to do some climbing - so any recommendations for easy, but impressive - climbs?
 Jon Stewart 31 Jul 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

A great scramble for beginners is the Climber's Traverse on Great Gable - quite exposed and impressive, with impressive rock architecture, downclimbs, pinnacles to squeeze behind, exposed traverses across slabs, etc. I haven't done any of the easy routes at the Napes, but it's a great playground. Could be included in a great day involving Pillar Rock too - the Slab and Notch scramble (which has to be descended, so think about a rope for that one) is a classic little outing to an inaccessible summit. Quickest approach from Wasdale, but could be done from Borrowdale or Honister.

A great, very accessible (and so busy) day's scrambling/climbing can always be had on the Langdale Pikes: Pavy Ark offers classic options like Jack's Rake, Crescent Climb, etc, with plenty of other lesser known scrambles that can be added in on Harrison Stickle, Pike 'o'Stickle, and classic climbing on Gimmer.

Scafell via Crickle Crags (+ Bowfell + Esk Pike + Scafell Pike) is a bloody massive walk btw, especially if approached from Langdale. It would be a fantastic walk from Eskdale. Blisco, Crinkles, Bowfell and Langdale Pikes would be a classic big day walk from Langdale (many opt for only chunks of this full skyline walk).
 BusyLizzie 31 Jul 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Is it worth analysing the reason for crying? What was it about winter walks in Wales?

... the obvious candidate is cold, which is perhaps less of a problem in the Lakes in summer. Sounds like she's not phased by exposure. Low blood sugar - not enough snacks? Hasn't understood the route? Unexpected change of plan?

All those things have taken me near to tears. The only occasion I've actually cried on a climbing trip was in winter, going downhill on (what I thought was) steep snow, hadn't done it before and felt I wasn't in control of what was happening and didn't know what was going to happen next. There have been some near-to-tears occasions when I've felt I didn't know how I was going to get up something and wasn't getting any sympathy from the leader. Perhaps "what has made you cry" would be another thread!
 MrJared 31 Jul 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Vote one for Jack's Rake, took the lady up and she loved it. A little exposed at the top but if your confident, it sounds like your lady will survive! Plus plenty to extended the walk once your on the top.
 ashaughnessy 02 Aug 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Your idea of a striding edge loop is spot on - up striding edge, down swirral edge. Never too hard, striding edge has an easier path just below it, and a great route.

Scafell via Crinkle Crags - I did something a little like that here - https://anthonyshaughnessy.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/langdale-scafell-pike-a... - a very big day but sounds like you both have the fitness for it.

There's a few other options on my blog you might enjoy (such as the Great Carrs Buttress route) and I'd second the suggestion of the climber's traverse around Gable, but would suggest taking a rope if you want to "thread the needle" (optional, you don't need to do it) and you're not confident of your second.

Cam Crag Ridge from Borrowdale up to Glaramara is a very nice day out, grade 2 scramble but not committing and ending (eventually) on the very nice summit of Glaramara.

Anthony

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...