UKC

Highland midges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan bulman 31 Jul 2015
Are midgies currently terrible around aviemore.? Thinking of camping up that way next week.
 Mal Grey 31 Jul 2015
In reply to dan bulman:
This may help: http://midgeforecast.co.uk/about-the-forecast/forecast-sites/aviemore

Not too bad!

Wouldn't like to be camping in Glencoe MOn-Weds next week based on the forecast for there.
Post edited at 15:06
 d508934 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

that's a great resource, not seen it before. anyone able to comment on how accurate it is??

any other tips for midge avoidance - assume that coastal/open areas are safer bet in general.
 CurlyStevo 31 Jul 2015
In reply to d508934:
I've been out on a 1 forecast and its still been bad enough you wouldn't want to be cooking / eating outside in the evening. At this time of year it will probably be at least fairly annoying midge wise any where in the highlands unless it's bright sunshine (and then it will still be bad in the evening and morning) or its more than 5mph wind. I'm sure it's worse in glencoe though right enough.

That said if you don't mind the morning midgies which aren't as bad and you don't plan to spend the late afternoon outside cooking / eating I often find it doesn't spoil a trip.
Post edited at 16:17
 d508934 31 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

thanks, am looking at camping trip next summer with 2 little kids, the midges could make it a real PITA though!
 CurlyStevo 31 Jul 2015
In reply to d508934:

Could do or you could get lucky. Early may can be a good time to go. August less so
 Mal Grey 31 Jul 2015
In reply to d508934:

Like everything, its more of an overall guide to likelihood, locally you could get far worse or better conditions.

Coast is generally better thanks to the higher chance of a breeze.

Andy Nisbet 31 Jul 2015
In reply to dan bulman:

I would say midges are never terrible around Aviemore. If the forecast is for some wind (or even breeze), I would go for it.
 Rick Graham 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I would say midges are never terrible around Aviemore.

Its all relative!

Pray for a breeze.

CurlyStevo 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:
Personally once they are too bad to easily pitch a tent in the eve or cook and eat outdoors around that time, it's much of a muchness to me as i will likely have a midge net with me and evening plans of a pint and pub dinner!

It's those overcast still days anywhere in the highlands once the midgies are properly limbered up that are bad, for any activity where you are not moving quicker than walking pace. Evenings down the pub and a slighlty unpleasant morning I can handle just fine....
Post edited at 20:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...