UKC

Climbing at Idwal tomorrow? Warning!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hazeysunshine 31 Jul 2015
If you're planning to climb at Idwal Slabs tomorrow, don't be surprised to find a load of women up there of all ages, queuing to get on 'Hope'. They're likely to be members of the Pinnacle Club, celebrating the centenary of its first ascent by Emily Daniell and party on 14 August 1915.

Emily Daniell was a founder member of the Pinnacle Club, so it seems fitting that we should follow in her foot/bootsteps 100 years later.

Apologies in advance to other climbers.
 Greasy Prusiks 31 Jul 2015
In reply to hazeysunshine:

Nice idea, good luck with it.
J1234 31 Jul 2015

A fabulous idea.
 Brass Nipples 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Que Sera Sera:

A couple of weeks early?
OP hazeysunshine 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

You noticed
We thought it would be too busy on the ACTUAL centenary date.

Possibly

You might want to stick a time lapse camera on a tripod for the day.
 solomonkey 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> Possibly

> You might want to stick a time lapse camera on a tripod for the day.

And a carpet at the bottom of the route ! Going for the upgrade to severe due to polish

Sponsored by Teflon

abseil 31 Jul 2015

Hope - you'll have fun*.

*Joke. I'm completely bored out of my mind at the moment.
 Fiend 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Sponsored by Pete's Eats, Beacon Climbing Wall, and Goretex rainproof jackets...

Bob Moulton 01 Aug 2015

If you've not already done so, I'd recommend also reading some of her books, published under the name of E H Davies, six of which were republished by Virago in the late 80s. See page 366 of the Ogwen guide, which also records that Hope was originally named Minerva - an apt name.
 Wry Spudding 01 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob Moulton:
Should that read EH Young rather than Davies?
Post edited at 21:13
ajjmoulam 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob Moulton:
Yes
OP hazeysunshine 03 Aug 2015
In reply to all:

Well we didn't completely abandon Hope, but conditions were so deeply unattractive that only 2 intrepid members braved the route. With the twin cracks streaming with water, as was the whole crag, EH Daniell herself would have advised returning when conditions were more favourable.

Re-scheduled for the ACTUAL date ... time to prepare tripod and time-lapse camera of course

Bob Moulton 04 Aug 2015
In reply to RichMoss:

Yes, of course, my mistake - no idea where I got the Davies from! I read 'William', which my wife had obtained in a job lot of Virago books in the 70s/80s, while editing the Ogwen guide and enjoyed it.

Not sure if that is what Tony Moulam's 'yes' referred to, but good to hear from him!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...