UKC

Plus sized and disabled but would love to try climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sleepymrsp 02 Aug 2015
My husband used to climb and I have 2 eager children. I spend hours watching them and keep thinking once my baby is born I should maybe give it a try. Trouble is being a ladies size 24 and having a lot if muscle weakness after years of struggling with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia that a) I'm too heavy and big for the equipment and b) I won't be able to do it anyway.

I live between Leeds and Harrogate and would love to hear from any disabled climbers especially if they have experience of adaptive climbing locally.
 llanberis36 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Hi

I would contact the bmc. British mountaineering council who may have a list of groups ot people to climb with. Your local climbing wall may also bw a good source of information
Best of luck
 ciaran1999 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

1. I would very much doubt you are too big for the equipment, I have put the sizing down below for a very common centre harness so have a measure and phone ahead to check what the indoor walls carry to be sure you'll have no problem when you arrive. The only thing I would say is that you should wear a chest harness as well to help keep you upright and comfortable. Any good centre will provide you with this as well.

Brenin XL waist - 22-61 inches thigh - 20-33 inches 470g BRENIN-XL

2. You are definitely not too heavy for the equipment.

3. You have posted on here which shows confidence and willing, and you want to do this for you which shows good motivation. You already possess all the skills you need to be the best climber in the world which as we know is the one having the most fun!

I say go for it, phone around your walls and ask about try out days or beginners sessions and explain your situation, i'm sure they will be only to happy to help.

Good luck!

OP Sleepymrsp 02 Aug 2015
In reply to ciaran1999:

Thanks for that. I did have a chat with one of the instructors whilst my girls were climbing and they were quite positive. Will have another chat with them. My husband is visually impaired and they've been fab
 Greasy Prusiks 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

The equipment should be absolutely fine. If you're in any doubt post what you're thinking of buying on here and a friendly UKC nerd will be along checking specifications for you in no time.

As for whether you could climb, I'd say anyone who can climb a ladder can go rock climbing!

Good luck!
PamPam 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

I echo the recommendation to get in touch with the BMC and a quick search on there brings up many videos and articles for centres and for climbers. I think this one may be a good start - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/disability-neednt-stop-you-climbing
As already said, you've made the first step by asking and to start finding out more. I hope you do manage to get started and have a great time. I must warn you, this sport is addictive!
Tomtom 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Book a taster session at harrogate climbing centre, it could the start of something wonderful!
 Indy 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Nobody has mentioned it but speak to your doctor.
 WildCamper 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Indy:

A wise idea when considering taking up any physical sport
 Geofffn 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:
With Tom Tom on this. Harrogate Climbing Centre is on the south side of Harrogate. Cosy and very friendly. They will have something for you kids and for you. Go for it!
 Si_G 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Maybe try abseiling first, to get used to the gear.
I'm not slim, and climbing is surprisingly hard work so a good idea to work on basic fitness in advance.
It's well worth the effort, but there's plenty of effort!
 the sheep 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:
Good luck with it all an I really hope you find somewhere to climb and enjoy the climbing. With regard to the kit I can say that I have been up to 18 stone and always had complete faith in my rope/harness etc and it has never let me down 😊
 Gone 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

I have been climbing, indoor and outdoor, with a friend who was probably a similar weight to you and unfit. She had a lot of fun and there were no safety issues - the harness is rated to hold a small car and if your belayer is half your weight the climbing wall should have a ground anchor or sandbag they can use to stop them going up in the air when you fall. These are also used by kids belaying adults so you may not require any disability-specific adaptations at all.

I would caution you from the start that as you say your power to weight ratio isn't very good you are not going to be able to do difficult climbs so don't expect it. In the short term my friend contented herself with doing the kiddie routes at the wall and/or cheating a bit. In the longer term having a sport you enjoy and want to get better at (if you do get competitive with yourself rather than just potter, up to you) can be motivation to lose weight or try other exercises as well to gain strength if your health permits it.
 marsbar 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

I climbed with someone bigger. It will be OK, just check with your doctor and take it easy.

There is something very "feel good" about climbing that may help you cope with your other health issues in a positive way.

Good luck.
OP Sleepymrsp 03 Aug 2015
Thanks everyone. The kids climb at Harrogate and my husband has just done a few sessions so he feels confident taking them and they have been fabulous. I'm seriously going to start looking at working on my upper body strength and am going to speak to my physio to see what she thinks but her view and the doctors view is normally you can but try!
 jkarran 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

> Thanks everyone. The kids climb at Harrogate and my husband has just done a few sessions so he feels confident taking them and they have been fabulous. I'm seriously going to start looking at working on my upper body strength and am going to speak to my physio to see what she thinks but her view and the doctors view is normally you can but try!

Sounds like a good outlook your physio'/doc' has

Don't worry about the upper body strength, you'll be starting out on easier angled stuff where you can stay in balance over your feet. That said, even easy indoor walls tend to be steeper and more physical than easy outdoor climbing so it might be worth talking to an instructor about a family day out somewhere suitable for all of you especially while the weather is still nice. I'm sure the kids would love it and you might find it a nicer introduction.

Either way, I'd just book a session and give it a go, see how you get on. Hope you have a great time,
jk
Alex Messenger, BMC 03 Aug 2015
In reply to...

As well as the links above, check out our Paraclimbing channel on BMC TV for some climbing inspiration:

http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/channel/paraclimbing

slab_happy 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

> having a lot if muscle weakness after years of struggling with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia that a) I'm too heavy and big for the equipment and b) I won't be able to do it anyway.

One of the lovely things about climbing is that you can work entirely at your own pace, without pressure.

There's no baseline level of how fit or strong you have to be before you can start climbing. As people have said, if you can climb a ladder -- possibly even if you can't -- you're already fit enough to start climbing. There should be routes/problems which aren't any more difficult than that.

If you've not got a great strength-to-weight ratio initially (which was very much true of me when I started climbing, as I was very weak), then overhang and vertical walls will be tougher for you than slabs. But that's true for lots of people, and just means you have to develop great technique from the start. *g*

If you're still dealing with CFS and fibromyalgia, then I'd guess the biggest issue will be pacing yourself and working round flare-ups. But you probably already have a very good idea of how to listen to your body and adjust things accordingly.

There's actually more than one very strong climber with CFS:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=42747
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69781

Not to mention many others with other chronic illnesses or disabilities.

Here's an old thread with people discussing climbing with CFS:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=390968

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...