UKC

Theodulpass hiking conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 02 Aug 2015
I plan on hiking the Tour of Monte Rosa at the start of September. This is a walking route (no alpinism involved!) but it does cross the Theodulpass, which is a glacier (if a very easy one).

Has anyone hiked this pass recently? Am I correct in thinking that the hot weather has burned off most of the snow patches? Does it remain icy into the afternoons? Basically, I'd like to be able to do the crossing in trail shoes with no crampons, but if necessary I'll pack some spikes.

Cheers in advance.
 rlrs 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I have never been there, but I have some interesting links:

These guys didn't use any:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K39SuOdegUs

Pictures from last month, but quite far below the pass:
http://www.hikr.org/tour/post96873.html

This guy put the crampons (Steigeisen) on eventually, day 3, but only at the Plateau Rosa, when past the turn of to the pass and on the way up to the Klein Matterhorn:
http://www.hikr.org/tour/post96466.html

General map link:
https://map.geo.admin.ch
 jon 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

It's down a very gentle ski piste, Alex. It is a glacier and has got a few holes in it but every day of the ski season, winter and summer it's pisted by big Ratracs which also use it to get 'home' to Trocknersteg from the higher pistes up by Testa Grigia. Even when the snow has gone the machines still use the piste for descent. This means that it is always clearly marked. I have no hesitation whatever walking down it in trail shoes - they'll get wet, but that's all - you'll be able to dry them. There's a slightly steeper little bit just under the Theodul hut but nothing to worry about.

Mrs J is, as we speak, doing the TMR clockwise and is in the Orestes hut above Gresonney tonight. She'll be crossing the Theodulpass in a couple of days. I'll let you know the conditions if no-one else has by then. She carries instep crampons and also has to hire a guide with her clients. Of course by September it it might have a bit of fresh snow on it. Or not.
OP Only a hill 02 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Cheers, Jon – that's good to know. I've trekked over easy glaciers before without ice axes and crampons but don't have any specific experience with this pass, and as the highest point on the TMR it remained a question mark.

Here's hoping for good weather in September!
OP Only a hill 02 Aug 2015
In reply to rlrs:

Thanks for the useful and interesting links.
 Rick Graham 02 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Good advice from Jon (again)

Over 40 years since I crossed the pass , very easy as J suggests.
Amazed to see to see then , what you could only really describe as peasants, walking over from Italy, presumably carrying goods for the Zermatt markets. No fancy gear or footwear used by them.
 MG 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
Not sure if you plan staying up there but note, to compensate for the rather unaesthetic surroundings (ski paraphernalia)

- The odd museum in one on the disused buildings at the col is worth a quick look. History of the pass and cable car construction.
- The breakfast at the Cervinia Guides hut is unusually good (or was a few years ago).
Post edited at 09:04
 jon 03 Aug 2015
In reply to MG:

If he goes over the Theodulpass he'll be well below Testa Grigia.

A few years back (I don't think it was the occasion that our paths crossed up there...) A helicopter came up from Zermatt just before dark with a very rich Russian couple as passengers. They came into the hut and bought a couple of bottles of Barolo and then flew back down to Zermatt. Says something for Swiss wine, doesn't it?!
 jon 03 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Just remembered another little tip. If you follow the Ratrac track all the way down to Trockenersteg you end up nasty muddy area where the glacier peters out and then have to walk through all the buildings and shit that goes with a ski resort in summer. Far better is to branch off rightwards about halfway down the glacier aiming for an obvious wide spine of rocks. Get onto them where they are nearest to the track you're on - not the first ones that you see - and keep walking down till you get to the Gandegg hut. Google maps or Google earth does this bit really well. Sit here with a coffee or something with a fantastic view of the N face Breithorn. Then stroll down a civilised path to Trockenersteg.
OP Only a hill 04 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Cheers, Jon ... also good to know! From Trockener Steg I'm probably going to take the 'glacier path' that heads approximately NW to Hirli, which looks a bit more scenic than the direct way down.
 jon 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

The direct way down is the telepherique! You're right, walking down ski pistes isn't great.
 MG 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

One more point. Some of the farms near Furi sell fresh milk (as in straight out of the cow, warm and complete with bits of straw). It's gorgeous, so if you see it for sale, have some. You may get TB of course but that's a price worth paying for the deliciousness.
 jon 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Its just grey ice at the moment Alex. Hilary walked down in trainers. However, she was overtaken by a group of mountain bikers.
OP Only a hill 09 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Cheers for the update!
 Jamie Hageman 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Have fun Alex! If you're doing a few bivvies and are partial to a bit of evening music, may I recommend Faure's Requiem - it fits the splendour of your surroundings perfectly and adds to the whole experience.
I'm jealous
OP Only a hill 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Adding a bump to this thread to see if anyone has any up-to-date info. Has the fresh snow made the crossing more hazardous? Still wondering if packing lightweight spikes might be a wise idea.
 jon 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Tiny amount of fresh on Saturday. Made it even easier than a couple of weeks back!
OP Only a hill 24 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Great, cheers I'm at that point, a week before the trip begins, when I'm at maximum risk of 'packing my fears' and undoing all my good work in lightening my pack...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...