UKC

HiGear airgo tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 03 Aug 2015

So I know UKC isnt exactly a camping forum but I've seen stranger questions asked than this so here goes anyway!

What are peoples opinions on inflatable tents, specifically the HiGear Airgo ones. Im looking at a 4 man tent for car camping so weight isnt an issue and a big porch would be much more preferable.

Have air tents been around long enough that the designers have got it right or are there a lot of horror stories of waking up in the middle of the night to find your tent on top of you?

Does anyone also know anything about the freedom trail inflatable tent? I think freedom trail must be the go outdoors own brand of tent as I havent seen them anywhere else

I know someone who has a much bigger vango air tent and it seems pretty solid and long lasting (hes had his for a few years now with no problems. If I had the money I would probably go for a vango airbeam one but HiGear is the only one I can realistically afford.

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms welcomed!
Post edited at 02:32
 SteveSBlake 03 Aug 2015
In reply to climber david:
Hi David, I've just got back from a car camping holiday using a Cirrus 6.

A few points.

No problems putting the tent up, expect 15/20 mins. Folding them and getting them in the bag is a bit of an art though!

The Hi Gear tents have two transverse tubes Which makes them a lot stronger and prevents water pooling on the roof.

The tent can deform ever so slightly (to a flattened semicircle) when the doors are open.

The Airtubes seem pretty robust, I was never concerned about them puncturing.

The bag is a very flimsy affair and should be better given the cost of the tent.

It fits both ways in my Mondeo estate. It is heavy and bulky.

We had two big storms, there were two small leaks, one at a door which wasn't closed properly , the other was tiny, from somewhere in the back and didn't happen in the second instance.

The guys aren't placed but despite this it stood up well to the storms.

Lots of room, stable, well made (bar the bag) - Better than the Vango and decathlon air tents IMHO.

If you have any questions PM me.

Steve
 abr1966 03 Aug 2015

Mate has a vango airbeam....sleeps 3-4 size but he camps alone in it ang got an airbeam so he can have comfort but be able to put it up himself. He rates it very highly and never had any problem with it. He paid around £400 I think.
I haven't seen the hi gear equivalents but id be confidemt that the design and performance of the airbeam tents is good these days...
 goose299 03 Aug 2015

Blow up tents?? say what??

I didn't realise they made them. What are the benefits over a conventional tent?
 gethin_allen 03 Aug 2015

Blow up tents have been around for years, I remember someone in my DT class in school circa 1995 trying to make one, thinking that he had a novel design, and then feeling quite deflated (pun intended) when I told him my parents had one years back and it was rubbish.

Saying this, ~30 years after their first blow up tent that was declared rubbish, my parents bought a Vango blow up awning for the camper and have been quite happy with it apart for a few small design issues that are really just associated with the van/awning combination.

HiGear and freedom trail are indeed both GoOutdoors own brands, freedom trail being the very cheap budget brand. If quality of their tents are anything like the quality of their shoes I'd avoid them like the plague. There's certain places where you can save money and others which will bite you in the backside if you try to. Having your tent fail in the middle of the night is really going to mess up your trip and probably cost you a packet in the process when you start shelling out for alternative accommodation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...