UKC

Camping near the car park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Evening all,

In June a friend and I heading up to do the Lochnagar round. We headed up Friday eve to wild camp and do the route the next day. We were amazed to find such a great camping area surrounding the car park at the Spital of Glenmuick and even a toilet block!

Does anyone have any good recommendations for areas such as this for ticking off munros? Meaning i can essentially 'car camp' and roll up later on in the evening and not have to walk to far to find a spot.......toilet not essential!

Reason I ask for the beta...turned up at the foot of Giorra Dam recently to do the munros each side and only found a tent size patch of flat dry ground in the whole area. This turned out to be part of an old road and therefore would also not accept pegs...tent ended up being pinned down by rocks.

Cheers
Colin
Post edited at 21:36
 Dave the Rave 03 Aug 2015
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:
Try Bridge of Orchy by the Inverarnan Hotel . Toilet in the pub, free camping by the river.
 ModerateMatt 04 Aug 2015

I hope that this is not to obvious, but The Kings House Hotel in Glencoe is an easy choice.

If you want to go for Blaven on Skye there is a large flat area of land beside a lay-by close (east) to the carpark.

Thanks folks.
Was not aware about the Kingshouse yet drive past often !
Not nessarily looking for facilities just a flat patch next to the layby when ticking off munros
Zoro 05 Aug 2015
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople: kinghouse is a great spot, also not far to stumble back to from the bar. But i would add that you better make sure your tent floor is super waterproof,because if it pours it gets a little swampy!

:/

Flinticus 05 Aug 2015

There's loads of areas! An obvious one is the dam end near the Cluaine Inn. You can drive down a small road just west of the inn and camp near the loch.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Aug 2015

I usually pick a likely area from the map, then use google maps street view to see what it actually looks like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...