UKC

Grand montets - bivi in station?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LomondSiTi 04 Aug 2015

Hello from chamonix folks!

I'm planning to sleep at altitude (+3000m) tonight and the plan is to bivi outside at a site I am aware of (through contacting someone on UKC), however the weather may not be kind...

Does anyone know if the top station is left open overnight if I needed to sleep inside there as a plan B?

Thanks
Simon
Post edited at 06:08
In reply to LomondSiTi:

People often sleep up there, never done it myself but I'm pretty sure you can stay inside.
 goose299 04 Aug 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

Yeh, you can stay in the grand montets station easily enough.
There's also the winter room, if you look hard enough or are in the know
 HosteDenis 04 Aug 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

Lots of climbers spend the night there. There's only one heated room, and it's the toilets (similar to the Midi station). Don't know why, I suppose they heat the toilets to keep the pipes from freezing
 jon 04 Aug 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:

> Don't know why, I suppose they heat the toilets to keep the pipes from freezing

Pipes?

Tim Davies 04 Aug 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:

Don't sleep in the toilets however tempting. You'll stink of piss, and every time you move a waft of stale urine will issue forth.
 GridNorth 04 Aug 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

I once bivied just up the ridge from the station. There's a good spot in the rocks, very sheltered on all sides and someone had even put some rubber mats down, presumably " borrowed" from the station. During the night there was a terrific thunderstorm and I woke up to calls from the station "Everyone get inside before you get struck by lightening". I packed up most of my gear before I realised that it was just a dream albeit very realistic one. The storm however was real. Ah bivis, don't you just love em.

Al
 blurty 04 Aug 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

The winter room is at the upper level, behind the winding gear. Walk round to the right hand side.
 ERU 04 Aug 2015

> I once bivied just up the ridge from the station. There's a good spot in the rocks, very sheltered on all sides and someone had even put some rubber mats down, presumably " borrowed" from the station. During the night there was a terrific thunderstorm and I woke up to calls from the station "Everyone get inside before you get struck by lightening". I packed up most of my gear before I realised that it was just a dream albeit very realistic one. The storm however was real. Ah bivis, don't you just love em.
> Al

I've stayed there a few times too - cracking bivi stops. TBH you'll probably get a better nights sleep up in the rocks and that skiing mat has been there years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...