UKC

Porth Clais access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RobE 04 Aug 2015
Can anyone tell me if there is beach access to this crag, or whether it's an abseil job? Would like to top rope it with the sprogs - or good option or no?

Cheers!

RobE
 Coel Hellier 04 Aug 2015
In reply to RobE:

There is no beach. Ab in to the main bit [or scramble down to Red Wall area, but probably not for young kids.] You also need to avoid high tide. Overall, though, it is a friendly sea cliff as sea cliffs go.
 Gerry 04 Aug 2015
In reply to RobE:

Organ Pipes is better for beginners. Scramble down and lots of low grade routes, though finding belays is more challenging than at Porthclais. Whichever, you need low tides and calm seas so maybe stay away for the next day or three (heavy swell most of this week).
 robsail 04 Aug 2015
In reply to RobE:

When my children were younger (and little) I would set up at the top of the route(s) on the main crag and lower them down (you can do this without running rope over the edge) and top rope them up. As they got bigger, I would set up an ab rope, they would ab in with a safety/top rope, disconnect from the ab rope and be top roped up the route
Its a great and safe (as sea cliff go) venue for kids
Rob
RobE 05 Aug 2015
In reply to RobE:

Thanks for the advice all - I did think about lowering them in but didn't want to have to haul them out again if they couldn't climb it! We'll have a look at Organ Pipes and save Clais for another day!

Stu McInnes 06 Aug 2015
In reply to RobE:

If you've got the climbers club north Pembs guide, for bottom roping on any tide with an easy scramble descent check out Pen Y Cwfryw near Caerfai.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...