UKC

Partial meniscectomy - what can and can't you do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A few weeks ago I had around 40% of my medial meniscus removed due to an bucket handle tear.

Has anyone else had a similar size chunk - if not all - of their meniscus removed? If so, how has it affected your climbing/mountaineering?

I'm back to climbing though still weary of rock over moves on the operated knee. A few more weeks of healing and I'm sure this will be fine though. What I'm more worried about is the increased chance of arthritis and how activities like Scottish winter or Alping climbing might cause more rapid deterioration to the joint.

Thanks,

David
 nniff 04 Aug 2015
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Rock-overs need caution for some considerable period of time - stretching helps. Get yourself some walking poles and walk as if you want to keep climbing for a long time rather than getting off the hill as fast as possible. Beware of hyper-extension of the knee when walking off, but maybe that's just me.

Arthritis - not yet. I had a bit of mine taken away in about 1998 and another bit about 3 years ago.

Running - think carefully. I gave up after tear number two and took up cycling to get/keep fit and am fitter now than I have been for years

Climb longer stay off sea cliffs

Good to hear you are back mate,

Steve P
 JohnO1978 04 Aug 2015

Had most of mine removed in 2006, took about a year to get over the op and get back to normal but generally no major issues now. I have ran a marathon since however I tend to avoid long distance stuff these days. Keep your quads strong and you should be ok with everything.

I had a very large portion of my medial meniscus in my right knee removed about eighteen years ago. I had no problems once I recovered from op and climbed climbing very frequently. However I am now having knee problems which makes walking painful, I am still climbing but now where a knee support. Thinking of going back to see my Doctor but I'm not sure anything can be done.
 Jeff Ingman 04 Aug 2015

I had mine completely removed five years ago, and was back rock climbing within a month. I had to adapt because I'd lost push strength through my thigh. I have always enjoyed alpine and Scottish winter climbing so I was keen to get back into that, and I put a lot of effort into strengthening my quads to stabilise the knee. I don't like gyms so I've built the strength up by doing reverse step ups, using hand held weights. It's worked really well and I can walk in quickly, but I'm slow descending and always take it easy walking out. I use poles as suggested by others and cycle/run/walk to keep fit. It's sometimes painfull on that last hour descending the Ben, but it always has been! Good luck with the recovery......Jeff
In reply to Asleep in the backs:

I went to Gogarth last weekend Steve, I really don't learn from my mistakes do it?!

Thanks for the replies, overall it sounds pretty promising. I noticed walking down an incline in the slate quarries last week that my knee really didn't like it. Squats and step-ups it is then!
 Kevster 05 Aug 2015

I had the same knee op/ issues.
Took me 6 months to get back into it. Full trust in the knee took me longer.
I have equalled my best grades since the op. But have slightly less flexibility then I used to.

Walking down hill with a pack Sucks.
Uphill isn't such a problem.
Sea cliffs are still great. Flat walk ins and easy abs to the bottom suit.

I gave up bouldering basically as the harness and rope can take the impact and make my knees last longer.

A friend of mine has had both knees done and does iron man regularly. What he'll be like in ten years us anyone's guess.

Good luck. K.
In reply to Kevster:

Thanks for your reply, that sounds promising that you managed to match your pre-op performance. I'm finding flexibility to be an issue too, my knee doesn't like me sitting cross legged very much!
 nniff 06 Aug 2015

No impact on grades here either - same old plateau for the past 30+ years, but it's quite a nice plateau. I like it here. Fitter than I used to be, but you won't find me running down any hills.
 Kevster 06 Aug 2015

legs crossed and kneeling - both my knees now complain. I'm 40 now though, so it could just be age. I have given my legs a battering throughout life mind. And am an electrician so spend some time on the floor each day.

Good luck with the recovery. I get the impression that different people get different experiences from the recovery/op, even though they think they had the same thing done. Some will say they walked out of hospital, I didn't walk for 2 weeks, and even then it wasn't comfortable to do so.

K
In reply to Kevster:

Yes every operation is a bit different. I had my meniscus repaired a year ago and couldn't understand why the guy opposite who was in just before me could walk around without crutches and I couldn't even start getting out of bed. That took months of hobbling around on crutches with a massive leg brace on to heal, although unfortunately not quite well enough. This time I walked out of hospital and dropped the crutches off on the way out, such a different experience!

nniff - I think I'll be happy if I plateau out at E2/E3 too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...