UKC

Three signal in the Highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 04 Aug 2015
I used to be a Three customer, but switched to Vodafone last year due to signal issues in remote areas. However, Vodafone screwed me over (the short version: appalling customer service after a fraud case) so I'm contemplating going back to Three again.

Has signal improved with Three at all, or is it still pretty bad away from built-up areas?
 chris_s 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
I find EE best for data in the Highlands (3G in most places), but Vodafone probably has wider coverage for text/voice. I left Vodafone for EE because their 3G coverage was shocking and haven't regretted it.

Three isn't bad, but I think EE has the edge. Just my experience though...
Post edited at 11:13
OP Only a hill 04 Aug 2015
In reply to chris_s:

I used to be on EE but found their service atrocious. I used to work for Carphone Warehouse so, unfortunately, have plenty of first-hand experience when it comes to how badly the networks all treat their customers! It's a case of picking a compromise of the lesser evils...
In reply to Only a hill:
I moved to Vodafone from O2 last september. Mistake. The second my contract is up I'm moving. They have shafted us over and over again. I hear EE are quite good.
Post edited at 11:23
 Mike-W-99 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

You could always use a network that uses the EE masts?
I'd be interested n three coverage too mostly because of the fact that thy let you use your data & minutes in Europe at no extra cost.
In reply to prog99:

In my view this is one of Three's biggest strengths. I must admit I was always very happy with their service – the only reason I left them at all was due to poor signal in hilly UK areas.
 chris_s 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Only had to contact them once since I signed up with them in Feb and they were pretty good, but then I never had any major issues with Vodafone either (apart from their crappy coverage). EE are certainly unbeatable for 3/4G in Scotland.
 Chris Sansum 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

A Three techie friend told me that they have concentrated on improving their coverage in the heavier populated areas whereas EE have concentrated on the rural coverage.

I went for Three anyway for a few reasons:

i) EE are known for poor customer services
ii) EE give the option to pay a charge to go to the front of their customer services queue (suggests big queues and why should you have to pay anyway?)
iii) EE reserve the right to increase your contract price each year (albeit at the rate of inflation)
iv) Three do free roaming in a number of countries - I have already used it in the US and France whereas I have been stung by other mobile operators with huge roaming charges in the past
v) Three have very good (second to EE) mobile internet coverage

jac the lassie 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I'm on three network. Voice service is not great in rural areas. Data/text service is ok in most areas, just had some no service in glen lyon of in the last couple of years. Just have to remember to register to use the text services for 999, to cover yourself. I always give a I'm safe message near the top of each hill and haven't had one not get through yet.
 felt 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Three signal in the Highlands

Thought this was going to be like a Famous Five Go Mad in Dorset thread.
 Gael Force 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I've got three and find it pretty good service, especially internet.
I had awful customer service from EE and Vodaphone previously.
Free roaming abroad with 3.
 climber david 04 Aug 2015
In reply to jac the lassie:

> I'm on three network. Voice service is not great in rural areas. Data/text service is ok in most areas, just had some no service in glen lyon of in the last couple of years.

Having spent a fair bit of time in glen lyon, no mobile operator has signal there unless you go for a sat phone!
 StuDoig 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I moved off three due to awful service availability in the highlands (particularly cairngorms). Friends on O2 or Voda phone would reliably have signal way before I got it on the way home, likewise heading out I'd lose it a lot quicker. Similarly 02 and Vodaphone seemed to have 1 bar signals in places where there was no hope of a 3 signal. Often would get the "emergency calls only" message on my 3 sim so obviously networks available, just not them. Away from well populated areas I always found it's coverage poor.

I'm on Giffgaff at the minute, and it seems to be much better. Not as good as 02 for some reason but giff gaff payg bundles work well for me.

Vodaphone followed by 02 seem to the best in the eastern / central cairngorms (where you get anything at all anyway).
In reply to climber david:
Ye, it's a bit of a black hole in there. My work phone (EE), got a tiny bit of signal on the top of Stuchd an Lochain. But nothing anywhere else in the glen, or other summits along the road.
Post edited at 13:40
In reply to Only a hill:

If anyone's interested, here's the long version of Vodafone's astounding cock-up today:
http://www.alexroddie.com/2015/08/i-tried-to-recover-my-hacked-vodafone-acc...
 gethin_allen 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris Sansum:
These criticisms can be levelled at any of the providers in my experience.

> I went for Three anyway for a few reasons:

> i) EE are known for poor customer services
I had plenty of trouble with O2 and have had recent trouble EE, Orange were surprisingly good when I had trouble.

> ii) EE give the option to pay a charge to go to the front of their customer services queue (suggests big queues and why should you have to pay anyway?)
Most companies have a similar "premium" or "business" service plan,Orange did, I was on it and it was great.

> iii) EE reserve the right to increase your contract price each year (albeit at the rate of inflation)
Every company has this written into their contracts, very irritating.

> iv) Three do free roaming in a number of countries - I have already used it in the US and France whereas I have been stung by other mobile operators with huge roaming charges in the past
This is good.

> v) Three have very good (second to EE) mobile internet coverage
If three are second only to EE then they would be useless in my area, EE is borderline useless in Swansea.

In reply to Only a hill:

In your shoes I'd go find my nearest Vodafone shop and talk to a human being. It's hard to pass the buck when the customer is standing in front of you.
 wilkesley 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I have had various problems with Voda over the years. The latest was with a PAYG SIM for a relative who moved into a nursing home, where the only signal was Voda. There are arsheholes, complete arseholes and Vofafone.
In reply to jac the lassie:

Going to give it a try, but not getting my hopes up!
 veteye 04 Aug 2015
In reply to felt:

> Thought this was going to be like a Famous Five Go Mad in Dorset thread.

I thought that there were going to be exercises for the military/squaddies etc in the hills, erecting radio antennae etc.
 SimonCRMC 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I also had problems with Vodafone but you might like to check out Talkmobile (via Carphone Warehouse) who use the same network as Vodafone so you get the same coverage without the customer service hassles. I've been happy with both the service and the network cover in areas like the Highlands.
 Robert Durran 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I'm sure Victorian gentlemen mountaineers never worried too much about phone signals in the hills.
OP Only a hill 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Probably not, but then again I'm not a Victorian gentleman mountaineer
OP Only a hill 05 Aug 2015
In reply to SimonCRMC:

Unfortunately, plenty of inside info from my Carphone days has taught me to steer well clear of Talkmobile. Statistically they are the worst network for ripping people off and poor customer service.
 Robert Durran 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Probably not, but then again I'm not a Victorian gentleman mountaineer

Ruffian?
 gilliesp 05 Aug 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

I am with Vodaphone an would like to hear how they shafted you. My bill seems to be double the agreed amount due to roaming charges. But, there's always other wee amounts they get me for and the advice as to usage is always at odds with reality when I phone them. 'Don't worry sir..that's not accurate...your bill will be as we agreed'.
OP Only a hill 06 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

My Vodafone situation has finally been resolved, but nothing happened until I kicked up a massive social media shitstorm and personally emailed the CEO of Vodafone.

Apparently the issue was that my email address was being used for EVERY SINGLE 'unregistered' Vodafone topup in the UK (i.e. topups via voucher or through a cash machine). Altogether I received 690 of these messages. The mind boggles how such an epic cockup is possible.

And Vodafone's offer of compensation for the inconvenience? A free £5 topup voucher...
 SimonCRMC 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Well, can't argue with your insider info, but gotta say my experience has been all good!
Simon
JPSC 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Mobile by Sainsburys is carried on the Vodafone network so you could have a cheap basic phone with a Sainsburys SIM for the coverage in the hills, without having to deal with Vodafone directly, while retaining 3 as your everyday service.
craigloon 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Three are in the process of buying O2, so when that goes through they will also use the existing O2 masts and spectrum, which together with their existing masts and spectrum should in theory make them unrivalled in the UK for coverage.

Meanwhile, EE are in the process of being bought by BT...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...