UKC

July weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Coldest July in living memory has just passed.
No doubt the Metoffice, Grauniad, BBC and the warmists will tell us globally it has been the hottest July globally on record. It all depends on how you measure the global average - a highly contentious issue.
 Bob 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Are you confusing weather and climate?
 MG 04 Aug 2015

> Coldest July in living memory has just passed.

Well actually it hasn't. It's just been a bit cooler than average. But carry on making stuff up if you like

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2015-07-31/july-2015-wet-and-grey-but-with...
 tony 04 Aug 2015
> No doubt the Metoffice, Grauniad, BBC and the warmists will tell us globally it has been the hottest July globally on record. It all depends on how you measure the global average - a highly contentious issue.

You probably take a global average by considering the whole planet, rather than just a small island on the edge of the Atlantic. How do you think it should be done?
 wercat 04 Aug 2015
In reply to MG:

First time I can remember seeing my breath in July, June yes many times but not usually in the Seventh Month.
In reply to Bob:

> Are you confusing weather and climate?

Not at all.
In reply to MG:

> But carry on making stuff up if you like

Seems like you are the fantasist.
Andy Gamisou 04 Aug 2015

> No doubt the Metoffice, Grauniad, BBC and the warmists will tell us globally it has been the hottest July globally on record. It all depends on how you measure the global average - a highly contentious issue.

Yo shure fick as pig shit buoy! Cud av maibea cum wit somtink cleverer but yos OP dint deserves it buoy!
 Ramblin dave 04 Aug 2015
So how do you think that the UK having possibly its coldest July day on record (not the coldest July overall, though - remember that there was a heatwave at the start of the month) disproves the idea that the global climate, as a whole, is getting warmer?
Post edited at 15:34
 Ramblin dave 04 Aug 2015
(As an aside, am I the only person in the UK who remembers from year to year that summers in the UK normally have a mix of good and bad weather? Improbably large numbers of people who I talk to seem to think that anything other than consistently warm sunny weather from June through to September is shockingly abnormal and possibly some sort of biblical curse...)
Post edited at 15:41
In reply to tony:

Much of the west and south of the USA has had a very hot July. In Texas alone, which is three time the size of the UK, the temperatures have been around 40 C every day. The weather on our windswept isle is not very representative of global climate.
 MG 04 Aug 2015

Go on then. What are you basing the claim that "coldest July in living memory has just passed" on?
 Philip 04 Aug 2015

Very true for my son. It was his 3rd.

He too isn't convinced about global warming, but then he's also not convinced about eating savoury food, or that what the f**k the Soup Dragon is in Space Mouse (our name for the Clangers).

I certainly hope he comes around to trusting two of those things.
 Webster 04 Aug 2015

and much of central and southern europe has been in the grips of a serious heatwave all month...
 goose299 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

you what??
 Scarab9 04 Aug 2015
In reply to all:

You know the rule "don't feed the troll"?

well if we assume this isn't a troll can we start a new rule "don't feed the moron" ?
 Bob 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Webster:

> and much of central and southern europe has been in the grips of a serious heatwave all month...

Indeed - we've been out in France the last couple of weeks and the first week was stiflingly hot - an unopened bottle of wine left in the shade broke the seal and pushed the cork part way out due to the heat expanding the contents. A French newspaper was talking about the "desertification of the south".

When global warming was first raised as a concern in the late 1980s, one of the predictions was that the UK/NW Europe would have both more extreme weather and"unseasonable" weather. Guess what we've been having? One other possibility raised was that increased melt of the west Greenland ice sheet would increase the cooling effect of the Labrador current on the Gulf Stream which could send NW Europe in to a new ice age despite rising temperatures elsewhere.

It's not just one indicator of rising global temperatures on which scientists base the concept of global warming but several independent ones all of which are in close correlation.
 toad 04 Aug 2015

The various weather sites show that historically it rains suprisingly often in July. When I was in Pembroke early last month, the suggestion was that it seemed to have rained as often as it didn't on any given day
 Only a hill 04 Aug 2015

No, actually it isn't contentious at all. There is an overwhelming consensus amongst scientists, i.e. the people who actually know what they're talking about beyond "it stands to reason" and "well, it's a bit chilly where I am so climate change isn't real, innit."
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
 toad 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:
It's a simplistic explanation, but warming= more heat. More heat= more energy, and more energy in a system leads to more extremes and unpredictability. Mind, that isn't as simplistic as saying it's a bit cold and wet today, therefore the overwhelming scientific consensus must be hopelessly wrong....

Post edited at 16:36
 Trangia 04 Aug 2015

>

Yet at the same time it produced the hottest July day ever recorded!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...