UKC

Lengths for tandem abseil rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 04 Aug 2015
Assuming you've decided to rescue a stuck abseiler by abseiling down to them and continuing in tandem, what are opinions on the optimum lengths for the two extensions from the abseil device. Always equal length, or unequal? Different for different weight abseilers?
 danm 04 Aug 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

The way I was taught was for the rescuer to be on the longer side so that you are slightly lower. This enables you to support and guide the person being rescued if needed. A shorter extension for them also makes it easier for you to keep them away from the rock if they have injuries which need protecting. Mind you, this is from 20 odd years back!
 StuLade 04 Aug 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

Hi Brian, I find it depends on the angle you're rescuing on. If it's steep it can be nice to have them hanging slightly below you. On slabbier ground having them slightly higher than you can help maneuvering them around, particularly if there's leg injuries.
 dereke12000 04 Aug 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

... or equal lengths can be good when the other person is uninjured but nervous; I brought my son down a 40 m slab at Fairy Cave in this way
 zimpara 04 Aug 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

Equal is very awkward and close. For an incompetent abseiler I'd have them below, injured I'd probably have them above but obviously have never needed to.
OP bpmclimb 05 Aug 2015
In reply to all:

I'm thinking of making (or buying pre-stitched) a dynamic double lanyard, for various applications: tandem abseil, attaching myself to a pair of anchors, self protection up bolts, ladders, etc, and double anchor at the top of e.g. abseil towers. As a permanent fixture on my instructing harness. Maybe unrealistic, but "one size fits all" would be very handy.

Beal do a double lanyard with unequal lengths of 40 and 75cm, and also one with equal 80cm. Petzl do the Joko-Y with equal lengths of 60 or 85cm. Or a long single lanyard like Petzl Jane would give me sewn end loops and my own fig 8 knot in the middle, which I could move as necessary (in which case, 100cm or 150cm?).

Any ideas/recommendations?

David Coley 05 Aug 2015
In reply to bpmclimb:

If you want them below you it will be such that they can't bump into you. So 120 sling or more. If leg injury, they will be horizontal and above you, basically on your lap, so very short sling. I wouldn't buy anything, just use slings with knots to set the distance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...