UKC

Mitsubishi outlander?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 05 Aug 2015
I'm seriously considering a second hand outlander - NOT the PHEV. I don't need a full fat 4x4 but I do regularly use 4 wheel drive and in terms of this and carrying capacity the outlander seems to fit the bill. I've had an x-trail, which I've really liked, but the new one seems to be much more of a people carrier and less of a work horse. The alternative was a freelander, but the boot is tiny.

So...Anyone had an Outlander, and is there an alternative I haven't considered?
Ta much.
 hamsforlegs 05 Aug 2015
In reply to toad:

Depends what you're using it for specifically,and whether you need bootspace with the back seats in use.

Subaru outback has 4WD of various flavours, beats the Outlander by miles on space with the seats down, and is a bit more acceptable for driving round in towns etc. if that's ever a factor.

I've never driven an Outlander so don't know how many perks of true SUV build it has retained - it may outstrip the Outback on torque, clearance etc if these are major factors for you?
OP toad 05 Aug 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:

I'd been looking at the Forester, though they seem a bit thin on the ground locally, the outback seems more of an estate car to my eye, but I hadn't really considered it so may take a look
In reply to toad:

Nissan Pathfinder. You can pick up a nearly new low mileage top spec one for £20k End of line now so should be some deals around (the new models looks like a large people carrier....horrible. Just like they have done with the x-trail as you say))
OP toad 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I did consider the pathfinder for the reason you say, but it's a bit too much of a thug
 Timmd 12 Aug 2015
In reply to toad:
I get the impression that Subaru can be nice for a while and reliable, and then they suddenly become rattly unreliable things after a certain number of miles if that helps at all?
Post edited at 17:02
Phil Payne 12 Aug 2015
In reply to toad:

The peugeot 4007 and citroen crosser are based on the outlander, so you're pretty much getting the same car if you buy either of those and the Peugeot version is quite a bit cheaper.
 Sharp 12 Aug 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:
I think the outlander and the subaru outback are pretty similar in terms of performance off road. I've had a 2005 outback for just over a year and think it's a pretty well built car. Parts are expensive but the build quality is good and you've got to love the engine. mpg is between 30-36 depending how you drive so not super thirsty for a 2.5ltr petrol and it's really nice to drive.

Off road it's limited like all cars but it's as good as any of them and perfectly capable in snow and muddy tracks if you've got good tyres on, of course you'll bottom it out pretty easily compared to a higher 4x4 although it's higher than many "off-road" cars and the hi/low gear box is nice.

The back is small compared to (for example) a focus estate but it's big enough to sleep in and if you take the seats out the back it can be a nice wee car camper for two. The seats don't fold perfectly flat but pretty close.

I think with all 4x4 cars if you're going anywhere you might need it you need to be looking at a proper off road vehicle with diff lock, low ratio gear box and a high ground clearance but if you live in the country and like getting about when the snow comes (or getting up your drive) then 4x4 in a car is nice to have. Having said that I've driven a front wheel drive car past stuck 4x4's in the snow more than once, it's what you've got on your wheels that matter.
Post edited at 20:35
 damowilk 12 Aug 2015
In reply to toad:

I've got a Forrester and love it, but much easier to come by here in NZ. It's great for ski roads, and some gentle off road. Much better clearance than my previous Legacy, matched with higher approach and reverse angles. Also like the low and high range. Reasonable MPG for AWD.
 cezza 12 Aug 2015
In reply to toad:

Have a look at the Citroen C-Crosser or the Peugeot 4007 as well. They are the same vehicle as the Outlander with a slight restyle of the front, but slightly cheaper.

My wife has owned an Outlander and a CCrosser. They drive and handle well. Fuel economy is ok. Drives ok in snow and ice with winter tyres. Good boot space. Rear 2 seats are really for kids only. Some of the integral plastics around seats and boot tend to break off. Had minor issues with blocked fuel filter, worn suspension bushes and rear windows. As a preference choose the 2.2 diesel and leather seats.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...