UKC

Harness Replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WeeTJ 05 Aug 2015
Hey there!

I'm hoping to to hear some folks views regarding when they feel it is time to replace a harness.

I've had mine for 5 years and its had quite a fair bit of use- especially this past year where its had pretty heavy use. A friend had also recently pointed out it has a fair bit of UV damage on the belay loops. So I bought a new one.

So it got me wondering what other people reckoned...

How old is your harness?
How often do you inspect it?
What would you be looking for to decide your harness is fit for/not fit for use?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

TJ
 radddogg 05 Aug 2015
In reply to WeeTJ:

I usually let my peers decide i.e. when I'm at the climbing wall and everyone is pointing at my harness with eyes like dinner plates I know its time
 Babika 05 Aug 2015
In reply to WeeTJ:

Usually 5 years for me even if everything looks fine. It saves thinking about Todd Skinner as you go into Mother Scareys....
 foxjerk 05 Aug 2015
In reply to WeeTJ:
mine is at least 10 years old. in the same boat as you i guess. visually it looks ok for its age but should i really replace? i think there is a wide margin between unsafe and doing what the manufacturer (£) suggests, but only a fine line between a 'successful' fall on a day out and total failure!

i'm interested in the general opinion/facts of the trade
Post edited at 16:53
 fire_munki 05 Aug 2015
In reply to WeeTJ:

I've sort of retired my 5 year old dmm, bought a new one but it I go with the gf she had the new one and I wear the dmm.

Secretly I think I prefer the dmm with double back buckles and tonnes of great loops but can't buy a new one so soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...