UKC

Best campsite for Dow Crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rubbercrumb 05 Aug 2015
Is there a climbers' campsite near Dow Crag?

Would we need to book it at this time of year?

thanks!
 Mark Collins 05 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Please bear in mind that I haven't stayed at this site in about 5 years but you don't have to book:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186323-d4268346-Reviews-Coniston...

I would say that if you can book a campsite in the Lakes then do so, climber centric or otherwise. The demand is so high this time of year especially in honey pots like Coniston, its rare to find one where you don't have to book. For that reason, all walks of life can be found at this one. Take your ear plugs and whatever you do don't turn up with a gazebo.
August West 05 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

If you want somewhere to camp it is traditional to camp on the Walna Scar road. All the usual caveats about leaving your site clean apply.

Not sure about campsites though.
J1234 05 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Try Scarr Head http://www.scarrhead.co.uk or try asking at the Church House at Torver if they still allow camping, or Turners Hall Farm in the Duddon is a slightly longer but doable walk in. Torver is far better for approaching Dow than Coniston, unless you drive up to the Walna Scar.
 CathS 05 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Turner Hall Farm in the Duddon Valley, which is also one of the more relaxed campsites in the Lakes regarding just turning up, non-family groups etc. Lots of space and they usually open up an extra field or two if it's busy.

Approach Dow Crag via Walna Scar Road then drop in via the descent gully near the top of 'A' Buttress.
 The New NickB 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:

> Please bear in mind that I haven't stayed at this site in about 5 years but you don't have to book:

It's fine if you don't mind sharing a field with a couple of thousand other people and being almost guaranteed to have a large family of drunk Geordies keeping you awake all night.

That has been my experience the last couple of times I have stayed there. Shame because it is in a great location and whilst it has always been a popular site, I remember having some great times there, probably going back 35 years in total.
OP rubbercrumb 14 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Stayed at Turner Hall Farm. It is highly recommended as a climbers' campsite. The Duddon Valley is so quiet compared to the hotspots in the next valley over.

We walked up to Dow from the Duddon side, it took 1hr 10minutes. It was weird leaving the rucsacs at the top and descending all racked up.
But it meant that at the end of our route - Eliminate 'A' - we emerged into blazing sunshine, could immediately put our trainers back on and had a glorious, sunny walk down the Walna Scar Road back to the car, rather than the shady one you get heading back to Coniston.
Highly recommended.

In reply to rubbercrumb:

National Trust site between Torver and Coniston Hall site is quiet and cheap (for an NT site).
 Mark Collins 14 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

> Stayed at Turner Hall Farm. It is highly recommended as a climbers' campsite. The Duddon Valley is so quiet compared to the hotspots in the next valley over.

Agreed, that is a great campsite and just to add for those interested that there is a pub within walking distance at Seathwaite.

> We walked up to Dow from the Duddon side, it took 1hr 10minutes. It was weird leaving the rucsacs at the top and descending all racked up.

Top tactic, I'll definitely be doing that next time thanks.
 Jimbo C 14 Aug 2015
In reply to rubbercrumb:

I've stayed at Turner Hall Farm in Duddon and as other's have said it's a lovely camp site. The walk in to Dow is a hot and sweaty hour, but not too bad. Wallowbarrow in the Duddon is also a great valley crag if Dow is submerged in cloud and/ or baltic.
OP rubbercrumb 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

Yes, I'd say the Duddon Valley is sunnier than the high mountain area just to the north, Scafell and the rest.

So I'd say Wallowbarrow is a sunnier crag than most, in the days we were there anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...