UKC

Doubled-back harness undoes itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My harness (I won't mention the brand) is of the type that is permanently doubled-back. Just pull to tighten. Lift the buckle to loosen.

Yesterday, for the first time in the 5 years I've had it, I looked down after putting it on to see that it had unthreaded itself (presumably when taking it off the previous day, or in my rucksack) and was no longer doubled back.

I don't think I'm significantly fatter than I was then(!), and there's plenty of tail when tightened up. I think maybe the waist belt material is much softer and more supple than when new, but I was surprised that the stitched end pulled through the buckle without any persuasion. Certainly something I will be watching over the next few times I wear it.

Anyone else had something similar? I'll get in touch with Acme Climbing Products Inc and see what they think.
 climbwhenready 07 Aug 2015
In reply to Richard Alderton:

In your rucksack, I can't see any cause for concern whatsoever.
 wbo 07 Aug 2015
In reply to Richard Alderton: so it dosent sound to me like a double back buckle to me, where you tighten it, and then manually have to loop it back

As long as you stop the tail flapping around this is no more than inconvenient.
In reply to wbo:

> so it dosent sound to me like a double back buckle to me, where you tighten it, and then manually have to loop it back

Yep, I think doubled-back was not the right term!

It's the two-plates on the buckle type, where you pull to tighten, and lift the buckle to loosen. There is no re-threading at any point (until it came loose the other day.)

Just odd that it has never happened before.
 Hyphin 08 Aug 2015
If it's not meant to be re threaded but the belt is now loose, it's broke!!

Sounds like a pretty unusual fail, but unless you feel 100% sure of your ability to assess condition of gear (post suggests not) I'd advise against using till it's been checked by someone who is competent.
Post edited at 13:13
In reply to Hyphin:

> If it's not meant to be re threaded but the belt is now loose, it's broke!!

That was my first reaction.

Don't worry, I'm competent (Not at the actual climbing bit, some may argue...)
 Hay 08 Aug 2015
If you're talking about a 'ziplock' type buckle then it is not really unusual at all.
I unthread mine all the time esp in winter to save stepping through.

Hyphin 08 Aug 2015
Just checked a DMM and a Troll harness, end of belt is secured on both. Admittedly just sewn onto a sliding elastic belt loop, but ends of belt doubled over and sewn together to be too thick to pull through buckle. Looks like it would be a real pig to rethread if you did manage to pull it through. You may get better answers if you said which make and model you're dealing with.

Just looked again at your post

> Anyone else had something similar? I'll get in touch with Acme Climbing Products Inc and see what they think.

Sounds like an idea, you can probably find an instruction manual online somewhere.

PS At 5yrs old they'll probably tell you to replace it
Post edited at 16:30

Just had a helpful reply back from DMM (who I can now name!).

Nothing wrong with the harness or buckle in their opinion. It's designed to be easily unthreadable when not under load.

Like I said above, odd that it's never done it before, but it's been squashed into a smaller rucksack recently, which might have produced the required amount of jiggling.
Removed User 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Hyphin:

Best post in the thread, 7/10.
 Angrypenguin 10 Aug 2015

If I am understanding you correctly, I'm pretty sure my new Petzl Corax will unthread - pic here from their website of it unthreaded: http://www.petzl.com/sfc/servlet.shepherd/version/download/068w0000001OoTRA...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...