UKC

bolting in concrete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adam 24 07 Aug 2015
I want to put a slackline in my garden, but I only have one good tree. I thought putting a bolt into the concrete terrace could work as a second point. Does anyone know if regular petzl expansion bolts hold well in concrete? I'm assuming it will be fine, just wondered if there is anything odd about the material which might make it come out?
 spearing05 07 Aug 2015
In reply to adam 24:

The bolt will hold fine. Just be aware that a slack line puts a huge outward pull on the anchors so make sure the wall will take it.
 Dell 08 Aug 2015
In reply to adam 24:
The bolt isn't the problem, the concrete might be. How thick is it? If it's a thinly laid slab over poorly compacted hardcore, the bolt won't have much to grip hold of. If you're going into a wall, it could topple.

I'd sink a wooden post or offcut of scaffold tube in the ground with concrete, at least 2ft deep, and fix to that.
Post edited at 00:55
 Otis 08 Aug 2015
In reply to adam 24:

In addition to the above you'll need to think about which way the slack line loads the bolt. You want to be loading it in shear (I.e trying to snap it off) rather than tension (trying to pull it out).

If you have the bolt loaded in tension there's a greater risk of bolt failure or wall failure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...