UKC

Aireborough leisure centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sleepymrsp 08 Aug 2015
Anyone know if they have a minimum age to climb there, what equipment they have available, opening times, costs etc? Keep trying to get through on the phone but never manage. Have resorted to facebook but I won't hold my breath.

Husband and daughter normally go to Harrogate but I'm having a baby in November, he doesn't drive and there isn't a decent bus service so if we can carry her on for a few weeks with him taking her to aireborough in the bus it would be great. By the time we've got to this point she will have nicas 1 but she's only 7. He has climbed for years but just did 3 2 hour sessions with daughter and instructor recently so he is competent to take her.
Tomtom 08 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

I didn't even think that wall was in use any more, I really can't imagine they have the staff to man it. I never head of it being used anyway.
I usually get the train to hornbeam park from horsforth, which is an easy enough journey, and hcc is just down the road from there.
Alternatively, leeds wall can be done in a couple of bus legs.
Where about are you?
Tomtom 08 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Had a google and found some info.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/sports/pages/classes.aspx?cLt=120

Still uncertain about it though, I never hear of anyone using it, so I doubt it's worth the effort.
OP Sleepymrsp 08 Aug 2015
In reply to Tomtom:

Cheers, that's pretty much all I had found. Have emailed them to find out what's what. We're in Otley and have had a number of bad experiences with Leeds wall. It's crazy that Harrogate is so close but the busses have been cut to nothing - 1 every 2 hours, none on a Sunday, nothing in the evenings. They suggest getting an x84 to dynley arms and switching onto an airport bus but I wouldn't want my visually impaired husband doing that with a 7 year old in tow because it's such a dangerous junction!
Tomtom 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Yeah, it's annoying how hard it is to get to harrogate from our end. You could try the 33a into town, then the train to hornbeam park, that's probably a better way, although quite a long way!

I know for sure your daughter will have a better experience with NICAS at hcc, so hopefully you find a way!
OP Sleepymrsp 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Tomtom:

She's going to do the nicas anyway and her twin is going to do one of the casual classes at the same time. It's just the extra climbing she does with my husband really that we could do with an alternative to. They tell you to use public transport then make it impossible!
Tomtom 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

Ah, so you'll be able to get to hcc for NICAS, but just want some extra sessions?
I would suggest bouldering in Pudsey, but that could be just as awkward to get to on the bus.

Yeah, public transport takes the mick, so expensive and such a hassle!
 Cary Grant 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

A new bouldering venue is opening in kirkstall, apparently. It may be of interest:
http://www.climbinglab.co.uk/about.html
Not sure when it is opening, but should be a breeze on 33A
OP Sleepymrsp 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Cary Grant:
Yeah we'd seen that. Very handy. Will try and ring aireborough again this afternoon since they haven't responded to my email.

NorthernGrit 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Sleepymrsp:

I go swimming there with the kids most Sundays. I'll try to remember to ask.

The wall is definitely still there and in use though. Top rope only with limited space. Not sure if it is limited to certain session times or not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...