UKC

Beginner routes in the Wye Valley (with fast, easy descents)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattsnow 09 Aug 2015
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of friends that would like to try climbing outdoors but haven't got any experience leading. What I'm looking for are some short easy routes (10m ish) that have easy access to walk round to the top.

The easy top-out access is paramount, I tried setting up a top rope at Wynd Cliff Left-Hand Crag yesterday (really should have consulted the guide book in more depth) and found it very difficult battling the vegetation at the top and trying to communicate with the bottom of the route.

Had a wonder around Wintour's Leap too, beautiful area but I don't think it's suitable for what we're looking for.

Any suggestions?
 timjones 09 Aug 2015
In reply to mattsnow:

New Orleans Buttress at Yat.
 whenry 09 Aug 2015
In reply to mattsnow:

Wintour's isn't really suitable for top-roping. Symonds Yat is your best bet - personally I'd go for Introductory Rocks or Waterpipe Bay upper tier.
 rich H0001 10 Aug 2015
In reply to mattsnow:

Thirty foot wall at tintern quarry Tintern Quarry might suit you. As the name suggests the routes are c.10 m and there is easy access to the top. It is sport climbing on easy routes. Not had any problems with loose rock when climbing on the thirty foot wall but other parts of the quarry can be loose.
OP mattsnow 13 Aug 2015
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, next half-decent weekend I'll be out there!
 tuckey234 13 Aug 2015
In reply to mattsnow:

+1for 30ft wall at tintern.
 zimpara 13 Aug 2015
In reply to mattsnow:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1213

Why don't you just fight your way through, set up a top rope. And then ab down to your friends or be lowered down. Everyone climbs, then top out, strip anchors and move along. Repeat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...