UKC

Home Climbing Wall in Garage Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luk e 11 Aug 2015

I am after some advice on home climbing wall anchors

I have just bought a house and typically I would like to put a bouldering wall in my garage. From what I can tell the garage is made from breeze block, looking online it says to use an expansion bolt or apoxy resin (a bit like climbing anchors) to make an anchor support for the wall.

The wall I am building has a 40 degree overhang, just thinking even if the anchor is bomber, is there much to stop the actual block from being yanked out sideways of the wall? and I don't want a garage that resembles something like jenga especially as it is built into the house?

I would be grateful if someone with experience could tell if I am going about it completely the wrong way and if I need to go back to the drawing board.
Post edited at 18:13
 Reach>Talent 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:
Glue in bolts are less likely to break out of the block than expansion bolts but I have no idea how they will hold in breeze blocks. Are you sure they are breeze blocks and not concrete? I'd also watch out for putting a sideways load on the top course of blocks as they may not take it too well.
 Wsdconst 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

Build a stud work in front of the block wall which can be fixed to the floor and various points in the block work with concrete screws also you can fix to the wall plate. the best thing to do is to fix at as many points as you can so loading is spread over the entirety of the wall and not just a few points.also with such a steep overhang I'd assume you'll be fixing to the joists/rafters above ? Make sure you spread the load and reinforce them if they seem a little inadequate.
OP Luk e 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

mkean, is there a way to tell the difference between breeze blocks and concrete ones? I am guessing breeze blocks are a lot weaker from what I have read.

Wsdconst, there are ceiling joists and I was considering fixing to them, but thought if they weren't man enough (they are 2 by 4) I would cause a very costly mistake. But if it is a standard thing then I would reconsider.

I am basing the design off the moon wall which is 40 degrees overhanging and about 3 metres in vertical height, so at the very top a lot of force could be generated. I guess it is like climbing, if the gear is shit just keep putting more in?!
 Reach>Talent 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:
Bracing off the opposite wall or the floor will reduce the outward pull on the wall, reducing the risk of something failing. Breeze blocks are softer than concrete, you definitely won't need a hammer drill in breeze blocks.
 goose299 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

Build it free standing. Problem solved!
OP Luk e 11 Aug 2015
In reply to goose299:

I did consider that! but it means building an A frame which has big wooden struts right where you could fall off!

I am thinking brace it against the other wall aswell.
 goose299 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

Managed to do it in my garage and no issues.

Two rectangular triangles with 2 by 4 linking them and then, the ply screwed onto them
 Dandan 12 Aug 2015
In reply to goose299:

Two... rectangular... triangles...?
 goose299 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Dandan:

as in triangles with a 90 degree angle in them
 Dandan 12 Aug 2015
In reply to goose299:

Ah, you mean a right-angled triangle? Gotcha.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...