UKC

Mountain bikes- doing jumps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Aug 2015

Evening all,
So as it turns out riding at them fast with an optimistic outlook doesn't work all that well. Anyone got any advice to avoid the bike staying on terra firma and me becoming airborne? Also anyone know a soothing cream to help remove saddles lodged where only customs men dare to probe?
Greasy
Post edited at 20:02
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

You could try holding on...
In reply to captain paranoia:

Damn, was that it?! It was more the feet/body I had issues with.
 coinneach 11 Aug 2015

s
p
d
 Wsdconst 11 Aug 2015

It's just a matter of coiling yourself like a loaded spring and releasing at the top of the jump pull up on the handlebars bent your knees to get the back wheel up.keep knees and elbows bent to make corrections easier
 Indy 11 Aug 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> You could try holding on...

Or failing that use clip-in pedals!
In reply to Wsdconst:

Ok thanks I can imagine that. Where would you have your weight on the bike hitting the slope at the start of the jump? I'm guessing slightly back?
 ChrisJD 11 Aug 2015

Its not about speed and it's not about pulling on the bars. Its all in the legs and pumping (pushing down to load then unload the bike) at the right moment to get lift.

Get off the bike, and think about how you would jump up off the ground.

Don't learn with clips, you'll get the wrong idea, its not lifting the bike with your feet.

Best bet is to go on a course.
 Luke90 11 Aug 2015

My suggestion would be to find some small, friendly tabletops and ride them until you can get air off them by pumping at a reasonable speed rather than by flinging yourself at them at high speed. THEN try something bigger and steeper.

I've been told by a coach that there's no point trying jumps until you can bunnyhop properly on flat ground but I don't entirely believe him, though I'm sure his point has some merit.
 Wsdconst 12 Aug 2015

Really it depends what the style of the jump is but initially a slight lean back bringing it to a neutral position if your landing on the flat or shifting it slightly forward if landing on a downward slope.it just takes practice,YouTube will have loads of stuff you can watch which might make it easier to understand. Hope this helps. p.s wear a helmet

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have another go next time I'm out, this time with a bit of a plan and possibly a Dutch saddle
 nniff 12 Aug 2015

One broken collar bone (plated) and one dislocated ankle (working but limited movement) in separate incidents says leaving the ground on a mountain bike is unwise. As my son said at the time 'Dad, it's not that you're too old to jump, it's just that you're too old to learn to jump' Wise words indeed.
 colin8ll 12 Aug 2015

I was pants at jumping my bike until recently - I kept going sideways in the air but after quite a lot of practice I've sorted my jumping. Here's a few things that might help.

1) Lower your saddle to give yourself lots of manoeuvrability.
2) Start with small jumps/bumps and build up slowly as your confidence allows.
3) You don't have to do much to get airborne as if you ride towards a jump with sufficient speed you and your bike will naturally go into the air. The key in the early stages is to get the entry speed right and control your body and bike position to land effectively. To do this stop pedalling a good while before take off and set yourself up for the jump by bending arms and legs and you may find that making an effort to keep your weight centred or even very slightly forward will help.
4) When in the air try and push or pull the handle bars to match your wheels to the angle of the landing slope. I like to touch my front wheel down just before my rear.
5) Relax in the air.

Do you mean drops, as jumps are a slightly different technique, for drops, push the bike forward when it reaches the lip, moving weight back, then back to a central position, spot landing, absorb landing with legs, tea and medals.

Jumps, compress into the lip of the jump, slight croach, extend upward to get air, center on the bike spot landing etc.
 NottsRich 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

> Do you mean drops, as jumps are a slightly different technique, for drops, push the bike forward when it reaches the lip, moving weight back, then back to a central position, spot landing, absorb landing with legs, tea and medals.

> Jumps, compress into the lip of the jump, slight croach, extend upward to get air, center on the bike spot landing etc.

Best advice so far.

Greasy, do you know anyone who can actually ride jumps that you can ask to show you? Finding the right size/type of jump/drop, and then estimating speed and movement is sub-conscious/natural for people who can do it. Trying that on your own will possibly be frustrating/painful. Go riding with others, or join a club! Paying for a coach? Naaah, do it for free!
In reply to NottsRich:

Thanks for the seconding the advice. Yeah I've got a lot of friends who ride so I'll chat to one of them next time we're out. I've been riding bikes since I was about 11 but mostly on the road side of things, only done about 5 years of mtbing but never got round to doing jumps. Slightly surprised at how hard I found it as my bike handling is very good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...