UKC

Anti pollution control system (vehicles)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 12 Aug 2015
We have a less than three year old Renualt grande Scenic. It will reach the end of its warranty period at the end of the year. We seem to have issues with the pollution control system and at present the car is back yet again! This time they have had it 4 days still trying to resolve it.
Do we have a duff car or does anyone else have issues with this system fitted to their cars. I realise its new technology so susceptible to glitches but its getting worrying this may be a real problem with this car.
Removed User 12 Aug 2015
In reply to fmck:

Is it a diesel? Do you do lots of short journeys in it?
If the answer to both of those questions is yes then taking the vehicle on a run and giving a bit of stick will probably improve matters. Of course if the garage are any good they should have told you this already.
 toad 12 Aug 2015
In reply to fmck:

oh god, is the particulate filter? What fmck said. they inherently can't cope with lots of short journeys, though I got a warning light from a fortnight driving around the south west on minor roads, so it isn't just a short commuting distance issue. I have a similar aged nissan, so it might be the same engine (Nissans are renault blocks, i seem to remember.)
 ByEek 12 Aug 2015
In reply to fmck:

The complexity of diesels has put me off. Ok so you get better mileage blah blah blah, but having just got rid of my last diesel due to an imminent turbo failure (cost £1500 - £4500!) I sacked it off for a petrol engine. When I popped the bonnet on my new car I couldn't believe how small engines actually are. It is all the complex paraphernalia around a simple diesel engine that tends to go wrong.
OP fmck 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:

Yes I suppose it does get used for a mile long school run regularly so there may be the problem. This time round though I had just travelled up the motorway in excess of the speed limit due to being late for an arrangement. It went off as soon as I got into the 30 zone. "STOP Engine failure hazard" Anti pollution system hazard light on again. this after a 25 mile hammer. Garage had recharged the particle filter only 5 weeks previous and we are in the school holidays.
 MikeSP 12 Aug 2015
In reply to toad:

Renault tend to use 'Pollution Control System' as a bit of a catch all for emission faults, so it could lots of things.

How many times has the car been in and is it always for the same thing?

toad, to clear the DPF the engine engine needs to be in a steady state (not accelerating or braking) within a certain rev range (normally between about 1200 and 3000 RPM) so country lane driving wouldn't start the regen but the same distance on a dual carriageway would.
 LastBoyScout 12 Aug 2015
In reply to fmck:

> Yes I suppose it does get used for a mile long school run regularly so there may be the problem

You must have a really good reason for not walking that distance?
ceri 12 Aug 2015
In reply to fmck: does the warning actually affect the car? My 13 yr old Peugeot has a fairly continuous "anti pollution fault" warning, which does nothing except beep at me occasionally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...