UKC

Week climbing in Cornwall, but with two dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luk e 13 Aug 2015

Planning on a week camping and climbing in Cornwall, but have acquired two dogs. Seeing as most of Cornwall is multipitch granite, does anyone have any crag recommendations for easy access crags that is single pitch and dog friendly? was thinking Sennen, but think there is a steep down climb bit to gain the crag with a fixed rope?

Also, if you could recommend a campsite that is dog friendly near by that would be brilliant.

Cheers!
 Cheese Monkey 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

That I can think of- Trewavas, parts of Bosigran, Roche, Cheesewring.
 Fiend 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

You should try to get them into Carn Gowla at least once

St Loy should be easy enough, a bit of a steep pass but plenty of vegetation for them to romp through, and a good crag base for dogs.

Carn Vellan would be fine, some steep slopes and the odd minor rock step but nothing a dog couldn't handle, as long as they don't go off wandering on the bottom platform. Great climbing just watch the tide.

Aire Point, very easy, lovely spot too.

Several of the Culm crags should be fine - Compass at low tide if there's any of it left, The Flame, Brownspear, Menachurch. Maybe Screda but I can't remember the descent from the Quay.

Cribba might be possible but has a few exposed steps, again it depends on how well behaved they are.
 guisboro andy 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

I recently stayed at Trevedra Farm just outside Sennen, also with two dogs. It is areally good site.
There is a sea level walk in to sennen at low tide.
 Rob 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

I'd suggest Roche Rock and Cheesewring Quarry. I've climbed at both with our dogs; Roche is enclosed so the dogs can run free but watch out for sheep at Cheesewring.
 Tom Last 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:
Cornwall's not really mostly multipitch granite, so you should find plenty of spots.

All of the suggestions above are good with the possible exception of Bosigran which has an initial tricky step (I.e. Jumble of rocks) which I'd imagine might be a bit of a nightmare carrying your dog over. Also whilst not exposed, if your dog's prone to wandering off there's plenty of opportunity for it falling down into Porthmoina Cove at Bosi.

Similarly Fiend's suggestion of Cribba has a trick jumble of rocks, but I've actually taken a lab there so is well doable. St Loy can be accessed by following the coast path to the far end of the cliff (Sabre Dance area) where a descent can be made down easier slopes.

Nearby Boscawen Point and Logan Rock would be quite doable and both have a few good VSs and HVSs.

It's worth you buying the CC Guide since whilst good, the Rockfax won't give you too much scope in this respect.

All of the other suggestions are good. There's more to go at on Bodmin Moor than Cheesewring, with Hawke's Tor, Kilmar Tor and particularly Trewortha Tor all being worthwhile. Likewise Helman Tor (though limited) and Luxulyan Valley crags in particular Will Luke's Hat (good at VS and E3-E6) are worthwhile.

Loads more here and there.

Good luck!
Post edited at 10:54
OP Luk e 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks for all the suggestions.
 rockjedi12345 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

vicarage cliff is nice as is foxhold slabs and a lot of places up on the north coast tides allowing. I often climb with my dog around here. vicarage gives a good beach for the dog to run on as well
 Nick GP 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

We regularly take the dogs to Bosigran, no problem (collie and collie cross). We do keep them tied up though to stop the wondering off the cliffs

Dewerstone is good with dogs. In the woods, next to a river so plenty of water for the dogs.

Vicarage Cliff is good too, whole beach for the dogs to run around

Hay Tor and Hound Tor good too but there is always sheep and ponies around so would need to tie them up when climbing.

Tend not to take them to anything you have to abseil into as I dont like leaving them tied at the top, exposed to the sun and easy to dognap!
 Skip 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Luk e:

Vicarage Cliff is an "interesting" suggestion as the approach involves a very steep descent which can be very muddy with some lose rocks. The descent is aided by an in-situ rope. Obviously the ascent is also steep. However, I have heard of people successfully taking dogs there.
 rockjedi12345 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Skip:

My dog has never had any problems. She is a German shepherd and my friend has a pointer cross black lab both dogs walk in with no issue! The first time we went I had mine on a short rope attached to her harness, it caused more problems than it solved. She just walks in now. That said a confidence rope may help put ones mind at ease as it is steep and muddy.....

I have taken poppy to A lot of the crags along the north coast, hippa rock, moped zawn, compass point to name a couple. Roche rock cheeswring and devils jump are also fine.

Down west poppy has climbed at body, sennen and trewavas. Like an earlier post I just keep her on a long lead when I climb so she can't end up wonder if over the edge!! I leave her off the lead up on the culm coast. ☺
 Tom Last 15 Aug 2015
In reply to rockjedi12345:

Fair play to Poppy!

Incidentally Devil's Jump is banned currently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...