UKC

Dolomites Rope Systems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.91 13 Aug 2015
Heading to the dolomites for some multipitch, sport and via ferreta, but do I take a single rope and a half for a tag line or a pair of halfs and use them as twins while sport climbing? Would be interested to see what people have done in the past, as not sure I can fit 3 ropes in my hand luggage!

Also any route suggestions (bar those mentioned in the recent articles) would be appreciated!
 Cheese Monkey 13 Aug 2015
In reply to joe.91:

Dont overcomplicate it. Pair of halves
 afshapes 13 Aug 2015
In reply to joe.91:

Hey Joe! I'm heading out for the first time in September and I'm going to be taking half ropes and I'll be using them as twins on the sports routes. That said if I'm feeling lazy I'll probably just use the one rope as I have lots of times at home. I'm also thinking of taking a 25m rope for the harder VF. Hope this helps.
 Casa Alfredino 13 Aug 2015
In reply to joe.91:

It depends on what multipitch routes you are planning on. Many you can do with a 60m single as quite often there are abseil pistes bolted at 30m. So if you're concentrating on short, easy access multipitch, a single is an option. Of you are doing big multipitch, I would just go for halves...
 Fraser 13 Aug 2015
In reply to joe.91:

You might have fun getting through security with any ropes in your hand luggage. Better to check them in the hold IMO.
OP joe.91 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

A bit of everything but mainly big multi, sounds like halves are the best option. And Fraser, I always stick ropes in the hold. Only clothes in hand luggage!
 john morrissey 13 Aug 2015
In reply to joe.91:

Dont take your ropes in your hand luggage! They will probably take them off you or make you put them in the hold.. not good if you are too late to get them in the hold.
 JuneBob 13 Aug 2015
In reply to john morrissey:

Really? I always take ropes in hand luggage and never had a problem.
A few people have said might/probably and other vague comments, but have provided zero evidence that they have had an issue with ropes in hand luggage.

I have flown to the alps from norway via amsterdam, and to greenland from norway via copenhagen with 2 60m ropes in my hand luggage without any issue.

But if someone has proof that it could go wrong, I'd like to know before I loose my ropes. I'm also curious to know what risk I pose with these ropes.
 john morrissey 13 Aug 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Wow. who did you fly with? When I last wanted to take ropes on the plane and asked they said a big NO. so we put them in the hold. also hear of people getting ropes confiscated in Spain on the way home.
 JuneBob 13 Aug 2015
In reply to john morrissey:
ok, good to know. I flew with Norwegian, KLM and air greenland.
It's particularly useful with air greenland as the extra baggage costs are massive, so sneaking as much in to your carry on and wearing everything is quite important!
Post edited at 16:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...