UKC

Rucksack rub

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 13 Aug 2015
Went running yesterday with a backpack on, and now have two sores on my lower back where the bottom of the bag was rubbing. Any tips for stopping this happening in future?
 goose299 13 Aug 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

Don't wear a bag?

In all seriousness, have it tighter/looser , whichever causes less of a sore
 tony 13 Aug 2015

Either liberal smearings with vaseline, or stretchy kinesiology tape.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Aug 2015

Tuck your shirt into your trousers. Works for me.

Tape can also help, but if there's a lot of movement you can end up with gum all over your shirt. Also, it hurts to remove it.
OP humptydumpty 13 Aug 2015

Thanks for the tips - will smear myself in vaseline and fiddle with the straps.
 steveriley 13 Aug 2015

Tightish straps with a sac designed for running (like an OMM) works for me.
Moley 13 Aug 2015

I have suffered with this regularly, one particular rucksack is worst. Put loads of Vaseline is all I can think of, but I never remember before I go out and then it's too late.
 The Potato 13 Aug 2015

Use a different backpack. Is it a specific running pack?
I've tried a few over the years and always had strap rub until I got a decent running pack. No problems now up to and over 50miles
 echo34 17 Aug 2015

Try using a race vest rather than a standard style pack. They have a more secure fit and so don't rub or bounce as much.
Ysgo 17 Aug 2015
In reply to echo34:

Second that. No matter how small an OMM pack, it's still going to bounce a lot more than the same sized Ultimate Direction race vest. Plus you don't have to stop as often as loads of stuff is available on the shoulder straps.

If you still need more volume then their Wasp/Wink is worth a look
http://www.outside.co.uk/latest/reviews/Wasp
 Wsdconst 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Moley:

Keep a small Baggie of Vaseline in your bag problem solved
 Wsdconst 17 Aug 2015

Tight straps so it doesn't move and sits higher I'm assuming it has a waist strap/chest strap if not try one that does.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Ysgo:

If you can manage with something that small then I'd go for a bum bag rather than a pack/vest.
Moley 18 Aug 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Keep a small Baggie of Vaseline in your bag problem solved

I'm a forgetfully old git!

I remember if on an event, I carry a little tub of germolene/vaselene mix which cures everything from backs to bumholes. But out for the day, I simply chuck some stuff in a bag and go.

Old and beyond redemption, mind like a seive.
In reply to Moley:

pad it at the bottom with a shirt or other item. also if you get a sore I found the following highly effective on my recent alps crossing - cotton wool held in place by very sticky elastoplast (the one on a roll).
Ysgo 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Personally I prefer the vests. Storage is better, accessibility is better, it bounces less given the same contents. What's not to love? UD do some bumbags too, but mostly thin ones as bigger ones bounce.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...