UKC

"Deadly, dangerous" Eiger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 13 Aug 2015
Hope she succeeds, but can someone tell CBS that the first woman to climb the Eiger was Lucy Walker in 1864?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/climber-sasha-digiulian-aims-to-be-first-woman-...
 lowersharpnose 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

...and Catherine Destivelle soloed the north face in 1992.
 Bob 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I saw the article last night - there's already several comments attached to it indicating that several women have already succeeded on the North Face.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good storey eh?
OP Only a hill 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

Unfortunately bad journalism seems to be typical when covering mountaineering stories.
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Oh my God, I just made the mistake of reading the comments.

"I'm not agitated or befuddled just sad for the young lady and those like her who seek fulfillment through such trivial, self-centered pursuits. You want a worthwhile adventure/challenge? How about marriage and family? Every day both an adventure and a challenge, but not quite so self-absorbed. You can have all the mountains in the world. I would not trade them for my day at the Philly Zoo last Saturday with my five great adventure/challenges. At the end of the day is the world a better place for her great adventure? Human spirit is great when properly directed, otherwise, a horrific waste."

:O
 Marc Langley 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

What about Alison Hargreaves? She soled the Eiger north face whilst pregnant!
In reply to Only a hill:

Looks like first female ascent of a specific route has been turned by the journalist into first female ascent of the North face.
 planetmarshall 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Oh my God, I just made the mistake of reading the comments.

> "I'm not agitated or befuddled just sad for the young lady and those like her who seek fulfillment through such trivial, self-centered pursuits. You want a worthwhile adventure/challenge? How about marriage and family?"

It's hard to think of a more self-centred activity than the furtherance of your own genes.

Simon Caldwell 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Seems she's actually climbing La Paciencia, which is altogether more noteworthy, but not in a way that most people would understand.
http://www.climbing.de/newstyp/videos/video-sasha-digiulian-carlo-traversi-...
 Mike Highbury 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill: It may not be the greatest journalism but SDiG is publicising her ascent via CBS so a bit of hyperbole is understandable. More than that she does came and do hard, big walls in Europe in a fair style so good luck to her.

toad 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Sod that, I'm going to the zoo....
Andy Gamisou 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Unfortunately bad journalism seems to be typical

Fixed that for you

Rob Parsons 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Marc Langley:
> What about Alison Hargreaves? She soled the Eiger north face whilst pregnant!

Incorrect. She *climbed*the 1938 route whilst six months pregnant, but that was not solo. Her solo (of the Lauper Route) came some years later.
Post edited at 12:56
 Mr Lopez 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Her solo (of the Lauper Route) came some years later.

That is not on the north face...

CurlyStevo 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
unfortunately its not just the journos - sasha also seems to think she'll be the first to woman to do this, either this or dodgy editing has her answering a different question to the one posed.
Post edited at 13:53
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Dodgy editing is my guess.
 Bob 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

<pedantic mode> The Lauper route is on the North East face while the 1938 route is on the North West face. </pedantic mode>
 HeMa 13 Aug 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> unfortunately its not just the journos - sasha also seems to think she'll be the first to woman to do this

Yes, she will be the 1st woman to climb La Paciencia AFAIK
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> unfortunately its not just the journos - sasha also seems to think she'll be the first to woman to do this, either this or dodgy editing has her answering a different question to the one posed.

I'm not getting that from the article link posted.
 CurlyStevo 13 Aug 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

OK I listened to this bit I guess it was bad editing, it made it sound like she was answering regarding the eiger north face.

"In his book "Eiger Dreams," mountaineer Jon Krakauer wrote, "The rockfall and avalanches that rain continuously down...are legendary. ...This makes the Eiger North Face one of the most widely coveted climbs in the world."

DiGiulian is attempting to become the first woman to reach the summit.

DiGiulian said
"When other women open the floodgates to showing that something is possible then all of a sudden you see progression in a sport,"
 CurlyStevo 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Seems she's actually climbing La Paciencia, which is altogether more noteworthy, but not in a way that most people would understand.

ok that is seriously impressive, its all become a lot clearer now!
 Goucho 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

> Hope she succeeds, but can someone tell CBS that the first woman to climb the Eiger was Lucy Walker in 1864?

The first woman to climb the North Face, was the German Daisy Voog, who did it in 1964 with Werner Bittner.

Of course Catherine Destivelle made the first female solo in 1992.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...