UKC

Venue suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mostin3 13 Aug 2015
Hi all,

I have a few days of next week and would like to head off bouldering on my own for a few days. Any suggestions on the best summer (if we can call it that) venue, within about a three hour drive from hereford? I climb around v5 v6. Thanks
 leewil86 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

have a look on the ukc logbooks and crag search it will give you all the well known areas within a three hour drive from you.
 Jon Stewart 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Mostin3:

I'm thinking Welsh coast (north). The only one I've been to is Cae Du, which isn't bad, but is very tidal. Is Porth Ysgo (bit further) meant to be better perhaps?
In reply to Mostin3:

The bouldering at the Roaches and other associated crags on that ridge is really high quality and lots to go at in the grades you want. If you do go, make sure you take in the Newstones, Baldstones, The Clouds and the Far Skyline. Big area to go at, and if you fancy a change for a day, head down to the Churnet Valley which isn't too far away. Top holiday.
 Jon Stewart 19 Aug 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> The bouldering at the Roaches and other associated crags on that ridge is really high quality and lots to go at in the grades you want.

But I'd want a cool breeze, August is probably the worst month of the year for grit bouldering IME. On a humid, still day I'd rather be buried alive or shot down by rifle fire.
 scott titt 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Mostin3:
Dartmoor, the main bouldering areas (Bone Hill, Hound Tor) will be just under 3 hrs from Hereford; and usually have a cool breeze!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

good point re: August, but it's been difficult to predict what the weather is doing this summer. All in all, it's been better on grit here than my two weeks in Chamonix (38 degrees c)
 Owen W-G 20 Aug 2015
Another vote for Dartmoor - I'm nowhere near your V5/6 grade but had good days at Hound Tor, Bonehill etc.

About 20mins drive but good camp round the back of the Plume of Feathers pub in Princetown

Free topos here

http://javu.co.uk/Climbing/Guides/DartmoorBouldering/Bonehill/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...