UKC

Climbers on Final Selection, Stag Rocks today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 13 Aug 2015
I've got a couple of nice shots of you. PM me and I'll send them on.
OP DaveHK 13 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Bump?
 rogerwebb 14 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

That was me and Simon, 11th pitch of a 14 pitch day, and by far the best. Can't believe I've never done it before.

I was envious of your light kit! (and jealous of your ability to run so)
 rogerwebb 14 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

And I have no idea what 'PM me' means

I have to accept I am a luddite dinosaur.
In reply to rogerwebb:

How dry was it? I'm thinking about heading to Shelterstone and/or Hell's Lum tomorrow.

PM means private message, as in email btw.

Tom
OP DaveHK 14 Aug 2015
In reply to rogerwebb:

You've now got a PM Roger.

OP DaveHK 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

It was all pretty dry yesterday but I thought the forecast was poor for the weekend?
 rogerwebb 14 Aug 2015

Stag rocks and stac an faaraidh pretty dry, Hells lum dry enough with careful route choice ( I think) someone was making a spirited effort on the Pin, I didn't see if they got up it, but shelterstone looked fairly dank.
Very midgy on mess of pottage

If its not raining you will get something.

DannyC 14 Aug 2015
Aw shame about Shelterstone - fingers crossed it might dry by Sunday as keen for the Needle. We're headed into the Loch Avon basin tonight. I'm optimistic we'll find things to do. Forecast looks pretty good to me.
D.
OP DaveHK 14 Aug 2015
In reply to DannyC:

> Forecast looks pretty good to me.

Just had a look and it seems to have improved quite a bit from earlier in the week.

CurlyStevo 14 Aug 2015
In reply to rogerwebb:

Its really good isn't it. Shame it doesn't go on a bit longer.
 DannyC 17 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
The fairly promising forecast proved wrong on Saturday, which was a claggy downpour until about 1pm, then drizzly on and off the rest of the day. We did a wee variation on Final Selection (finishing out left of the overhang via the hanging nose) in the afternoon in boots. Fun.

Shelterstone dried out really well in late evening sun (seems to dry a little quicker than Hells Lum) and was 90% dry for Sunday when we did The Needle. What a route! So varied and continually interesting. Pitch two and eight would be worth three stars in their own right on a single pitch crag.

Lots of teams out enjoying Stag Rocks and Hells Lum.

Looks decent for a few days so touch wood summer has finally arrived...

D.
Post edited at 11:09
 CurlyStevo 17 Aug 2015
In reply to DannyC:
I was going to go out Saturday but then I saw the forecasts late Friday, mwis didn't sound good east or west. Sunday was quite nice in glencoe.

Sounds like you had a good time sunday
Post edited at 13:00
In reply to CurlyStevo:

We made a poor choice on Sunday - Ben Nevis (Carn Dearg to be precise). Titan's wall was gopping, but we slithered up the first pitch and headed over for The Banana Groove which was dry, but still very greasy/fricitonless. Failed. It was all day and even rained at one point. Oh the Ben how I love your cloud magnetism...
 CurlyStevo 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Fultonius:
I'm healing from a knee injury so just did a easy route (3 scramble) on gear aonach and the remainder of the ridge until I dropped in to scnl. My knee is a bit worse today but not too bad. Probably shouldn't have done it but I was going stir crazy

Most the rock in glencoe wasn't in dry nick - ranoch wall looked ok from a distance.

It was sunny spells in glencoe started raining lightly as I left about 2:30
Post edited at 13:26
 DannyC 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Fultonius:

Shame, I'd thought Carn Dearg could have been a go-er on Sunday.
D.
 rogerwebb 17 Aug 2015
In reply to DannyC:

excellent
 CurlyStevo 17 Aug 2015
In reply to DannyC:
was hells lum not badly seeping on the main section (right hand side)?
Post edited at 15:49
 DannyC 17 Aug 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The far right was wet, but three or four parties were climbing. Auld Nick had a couple of ascents and looked fairly dry (from afar). Other routes looked doable with careful route choice, although heavy rain (again...) tomorrow.

D.
In reply to DannyC:

Does anyone know if the Needle will be dry enough to climb on Sunday given the recent weather and forecast?

Cheers, Tom
 DannyC 28 Aug 2015

Might need a very early start, but I'd go for it.
http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast.asp?fa=EH&d=2015-08-30
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Cairngorm/forecasts/500

Saturday looks better, if you've the option.

Good luck,
D.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...