UKC

Captain Webb, anyone done it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepstar 13 Aug 2015
Luxulyan Quarry I have recently bought a copy of the 1998 Cheesewring & South East Cornwall by Sean Hawken and browsing through it found a route called "Captain Webb" 750ft Ex Stupid. The UKC log say's "Don't even think about it". Now being an old caver this sounds like a bit of a challenge to me, so I was just wondering has anyone out there done it and is it still doable? as the guide says "Beware, parts have become narrowed over the years".
 Tom Last 13 Aug 2015
In reply to deepstar:
Hi Deepstar. I was stood under Luxulyan Aqueduct today in torrential rain, it is a superb place.

I can't quite recall the detail but somebody - probably Barney Carver who would know - told me that it's no longer doable since parts of the leat are blocked, I think certainly the section through the aqueduct is anyway. There's definitely been a fair bit of work on it in recent years as there was a significant leak from the leat through the aqueduct onto the railway at one stage. This was really obvious in 2010 since it formed a massive icicle about a metre wide in places that ran the full height of the structure.

The E3 5b up the aqueduct itself is also very definitely banned these days.

So in short, I doubt it's worth travelling for that route alone.

I would say a visit is worth making however for both the valley itself, which is extremely beautiful and felt like a cloud forest today and - and I hope this doesn't sound like hubris - for the rather good routes that have been unearthed in the valley by myself and others in recent years.

Like I say, not being blowing my own trumpet, but there are some great short routes on very strong features on crazy outcrops and in interesting (and verdant) locations that would undoubtably be quite popular were it not for the fact that they're stuck in a vicious cycle of the fertility of the valley outpacing the rate of repeats.

Then again, I know you're not afraid of a bit of cleaning and they could do with some interest. Let me know if you make a visit and I'll come and join you.

Cheers,
Tom

Free and up to date new route supplement to the valley found here:

http://www.stivesnews.co.uk/CheesewringClimbing/pdfs/LuxulyanBoulderingandN...
Post edited at 23:47
OP deepstar 13 Aug 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks for that Tom, it's a pity because "Captain Webb" sounded right up my street but Luxulyan sounds a lovely place anyway. I shall have to visit soon as I seem to have an affinity with cloud forests, Gilson's Slab being a perfect example!
 Tom Last 14 Aug 2015
In reply to deepstar:

It is a pity Deepstar, I agree. That said, the places where the leats disappear underground throughout the valley are fairly obvious, although some are barred off these days. It's possible that they could be fairly extensive I suppose, but I really have no idea. But yes, unfortunately I think Captain Webb's original incarnation isn't doable these days, not least the aqueduct which I suppose was a large part of the appeal. Cheers, Tom.
 nigel n 14 Aug 2015
In reply to deepstar:

I did this about ten years ago - a bit wet and mucky but no problem for anyone with a caving background. No idea what the access is like these days though.
OP deepstar 14 Aug 2015
In reply to nigel n:

Thanks Nigel, it might still be on then, I'm going get the wetsuit and check it out!
 nigel n 15 Aug 2015
In reply to deepstar:

I should point out that it has most of the bad points associated with caving but none of the good ones (clean washed passage, formations etc)!!
Plenty of pleasant caves at buckfastleigh, even some nice mines near the Tamar!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...