UKC

No Twikker on ROCKFAX eastern grit top 500

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cake 14 Aug 2015
I recently noticed that I have only 12 routes left to get halfway through the Rockfax top 500 eastern grit ticklist:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=91

This got me looking for routes that I would like to do to get to 250, but I was dismayed to find that Twikker (E3 5c), classic *** E3, was not there and a few other one huge classics like braille trail.

Now, I can understand that at the upper echelons of the grades, most people wouldn't want to have such hard routes as E7 filling up a ticklist, but surely a route like Twikker should be in when other 1 star E3 routes are in. I would never criticise an individual's ticklist and i realise that Rockfax have a site of their own, but i figure that there are enough links with ukc to raise it here.

PS I still intend to get the 250 and Twikker this year
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Cake:

Obviously an over-sight as it should be in there. Which is a bit odd as I think the list is largely auto-generated.

Sorry about that,

Chris
 Adam Long 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Cake:

Probably the best E3 on quarried grit. Definitely worth doing list or not!
 kevin stephens 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Obviously an over-sight ............ the list is largely auto-generated.

Well there's your problem!

A good guide should lead not follow

OP Cake 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Now I'm intrigued. "auto-generated" on which criteria? Number of stars or ticks (surely not) or something else. I've got the graded list from my PGE first edition which I have pored over over the years which seems a lot better than the new top 500. Other obvious omissions include, for example Bat out of Hell and Profit of Doom at E5, while the Tempest is there with a single star;
Ulysses' Bow and Linden, while Life Assurance is there which is clearly not amazing climbing.

Very curious
In reply to Cake:

Hi Cake

The list you are referring to is the Top 500 from the 2006 Eastern Grit guidebook. That does in fact omit some of the routes you mention. I am not sure why that is since we compiled it 9 years ago, but I suspect it was done part automated from UKC votes, and part from personal (Chris and my) additions - I think that was how we did most of the lists then.

The new list in the 2015 edition includes all the routes you mention, and the routes in your second post. This list was done entirely automatically from star and grade votes received via the database. There is a threshold of votes required before a route will be considered which is why Linden hasn't made the new 2015 list since it rarely gets ascents (hence too few votes).

There isn't yet a UKC Tick List for this 2015 version although it would be nice to create one. I will ask Paul if there is a way of doing this automatically without typing every route in (there should be since it is where the info came from, but I don't think it actually exists yet).

Alan
OP Cake 14 Aug 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
Okay, thanks Alan. It probably would be good to get the new list uploaded, but I'm still working through my 2001 version and as I'm only up to E3, I've got a long way to go asked won't be buying the 2015 in the near future so I can't do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...