UKC

inspiration needed for Europe in a campervan!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robboj 14 Aug 2015
Hi all,
I'm looking for a bit of inspiration from the collective thoughts of ukc!! I'm hoping to get away (with my gf & our two dogs) for about 3 weeks in September. We're not 100% sure about where to go - past couple of years we've been to Chamonix & the haute savoie area plus around grindlewald & grimentz in Switzerland & we fancy something different. We were thinking either Pyrenees, Austrian Alps or Dolomites. As we have the dogs with us we'll primarily be looking at day walks etc although I'll chuck the climbing kit in the van if we're somewhere near a crag where we could play for a couple of hours. Any thoughts/recommendations for areas/campsites to head for to make a rough plan? We're happy also to use aires/wildcamp in the van so include those too!
Thanks everybody, Rob
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 15 Aug 2015
Obviously biased but September in the Dolomites is one of the best months, generally good weather and quiet.

You can stay for free in any of the lift carparks in a van (I lived there in a van for 2 years). An endless supply of walking and climbing. Probably the most scenic mountain range in Europe.

Falzarego pass is a good place for a van sleeping at the Lagazoui or top of the Valporola. Great scenery and easy access to the Alta Badia and Cortina basin. Classic climbing venues like Cinque Torri nearby. Loads of VF's and good walking.

Enjoy wherever you end up!
 Oogachooga 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Robboj:

Snap! Doing 3 weeks in september aswell. Probably passing through the dolomites around 10-12th (if you do go there), heading to east coast of italy after that for a week. Then up to interlaken.
 marsbar 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Robboj:

You could do Fontenbleau on the way down.

OP Robboj 17 Aug 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

That's great, thanks. It's just the kind of information I was looking for. Cheers, rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...