UKC

Easy top rope routes for kids Northumberland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Legon 15 Aug 2015
I'm staying in Embleton, Alnwick this week with my family. Would love to take two of my kids out on some easy routes locally no harder than Diff since they're under 6. Any recommendations?

Six figure grid reference and name of crag will probably be enough.

Thanks,

Will
ultrabumbly 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Will Legon:

Your choice might be limited as much of it is sandstone and needs to dry out following any rain. How local is "local" I am assuming you don't want to drive too far with youngish kids.

If the weather was baking I would recommend Crag Lough (not sand stone but north facing) for the type of routes you are probably after. If it did stay dry from now til the back half of next week it might be an option. Lots of other stuff to do over that way also to make the drive worth it for a day out.

Been years since I have climbed in that part of the country. A local might be able to suggest something suitable for the different ranges of weather we may get this week.
 flatdave 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Will Legon:

You could try Corbys crag which is on the Alnwick Rothbury road. The sandstone there is soft though so you'll need to use something at the lip of the crag to stop rope rub.

Dave
 JDal 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Will Legon:

Might sound a bit off-beam, but I wonder if Ratcheugh may fit the bill, dolerite, short routes. It's probably getting overgrown again now, but it'd certainly be an adventure. http://northumberlandclimbing.co.uk/takeawayguide.php?id=67&printf=y If you're interested PM me for access details. The woman at the Folly may even show you round if your nice to her.

Also, for yourself, I recommend an evening family picnic at Rumbing Kern. Take your boots, no mat needed - land on sand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...