UKC

Naming a possible new climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Garston 15 Aug 2015
Apologies if this has been asked, I did search but couldnt find the specific answer. I know of a certain rockface that isnt mentioned anywhere as having been climbed (the crag in question is hidden on private land where I have shooting rights) so my 2 questions are....... If access is difficult could the climbs ever be named? and if they could be named how on earth would you go about it?!
Again apologies if my question is strange,

Thanks
Chris
 john arran 15 Aug 2015
In reply to Garston:

You climb the routes. You give them names. Done.

Whether anyone else can ever repeat them is a completely separate issue.
OP Garston 16 Aug 2015
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John that makes sense however is there anything to stop someone else climbing them and claiming them as their own if they were to gain access?
 DaveHK 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Garston:
You'd need to report the routes to whatever body produces the guidebook for the area (FRCC, SMC etc). They would then have a record. Whether they would publish them if they were not accessible is another matter.

Failing that you could always contact the appropriate crag moderator on here and ask for the crag to be added if it isn't already, then record the routes on there.
Post edited at 19:05
 TobyA 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Garston:

Name the climbs whatever you want, but far more likely to make you adored by the climbing community is if you can use your contacts with the landowners to negotiate access for other climbers!
OP Garston 16 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated and I may very well be able to negotiate access as I know the landowner well and although the climbs are small in number the setting is quite unique! Will have a chat with the landowner and hopefully update on here...
 Steve Perry 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Garston:

Negotiate access
Do the routes
Name the routes
Publicly announce access to a new crag
Celebrate, everyone's a winner.
 Trangia 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

Write to the Palace giving your name, the location of the climb, the date you climbed it and the name you have given it.

The Palace will write to you in due course and when you hear from them indicate your willingness to accept the honour bestowed on you (the Palace always check first to avoid the embarrassment of a public refusal)

When summoned, put on your best suit, attend at the Palace, shake hands with the Queen (don't forget to bow) and accept your MBE* for services to British Climbing.

* If you've given it a really nice name like Royal Flush ,the Laughing Corgi or Corbyn's Downfall you might even be awarded an OBE
 Steve Perry 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

...and maybe a Victoria Cross for bravery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...