UKC

Eureka!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 16 Aug 2015

Years and years ago on several occasions when descending from the Glyderau down past the Devil's Kitchen, I used to notice a cave. Well, not so much a cave as a space below a huge great boulder. I did crawl inside once and, although a bit damp, I remember thinking that it would be useful if you were benighted or caught out by bad weather.

Anyway, several times in the last three or four years I again looked for it and never seen it. I was up there about six weeks ago and, again, no sign of it and I came to the conclusion that it had either deliberately been filled in or by some catastophic event the boulder( and it's as big as a house) had collapsed.

Anyway, I was up there today and low and behold, I found it again.
Post edited at 17:34
 gethin_allen 16 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Is it a fairly large thing with a stone wall built around the open side which opens towards the lake?
 Andrew Wilson 16 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Ha! I know it! We slept in it one night. It has a sloping ceiling which carried the wind driven rain down all the way to my boots which were stuffed in the back of the cave. They were full to the brim by morning.
We were doing a Welsh 3000's with bivi gear as training for something else. This was our halfway point. Still managed to do the round in under 24h including 8hrs fitful sleep in a downpour.

Andy
OP mypyrex 16 Aug 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:
> Is it a fairly large thing with a stone wall built around the open side which opens towards the lake?

No, I think I know the one you mean. That's near where the path that comes up past the Slabs meets the path that goes round the other side of the lake. It's much higher than that; almost immediately below the cleft of the DK.
Post edited at 18:00
OP mypyrex 16 Aug 2015
In reply to Andrew Wilson & Gethin Allen:

It's circa SH63925 58832

GriffonVulture 19 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Went and had a look yesterday. Might bivvy in it at the weekend.
Rigid Raider 19 Aug 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I also found a massive cave on the higher slopes of Tryfan, somewhere to the west of the north ridge. You crawled in between some huge boulders and found yourself in a cavernous space. Judging from all the rubbish on the floor it was well used. Have never found it since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...