UKC

Any crags Brampton area near Carlisle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ann S 17 Aug 2015
I'm heading up to Brampton on Thursday to meet up with an old mate and as he is new to the area neither of us know about the nearest cragging. If anyone can help with suggestions not too far away in case my visit coincides with decent weather, I would be pleased to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
 Bob 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Ann S:

The crag search on here should give you some clues: enter location and distance and you will hopefully get some answers.

The nearest (decent) crag is likely to be Armathwaite which is sandstone.
OP Ann S 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

Cheers Bob. Will do.

Lankyman 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Ann S:

Not far east are the crags along the line of Hadrian's Wall - chiefly Peel Crag and Crag Lough. If it isn't cold/windy/damp they are both stuffed full of excellent routes particularly in the lower and mid-grades. At this time of year they get the late afternoon and evening sun. It's probably about a 20 min drive from Brampton - head east on the A69 then come off at Greenhead and then along the dead straight military road to Twice Brewed (NNP Visitor Centre). Turn left and park up the hill at Steel Rigg (coins!) - Peel Crag is in sight a few minutes' walk away (downhill!).
In reply to Lankyman:

Spadeadam Crag is even closer and rather a pleasant little spot.
 spenser 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Lankyman:

I'd choose to climb at Armathwaite over Peel Crag or Crag Lough every single time! Flasherman is one of the best VS routes I've done anywhere, having visited Crag Lough a couple of times I would be very surprised if I could say that about any of the routes there.
In reply to Ann S:

The Tipalt (1.5 miles from Greenhead) is virtually roadside and has a few decent routes and entertaining problems on good quality sandstone. Head East up the hill and turn left before Walltown Quarry. Follow the road and the crag is on the right. Belays at the top can be problematic.

Closer to Brampton is Lodges Quarry is located in the trees behind the filling station on the main road at Low Row. It has a number of lines up to about 40 feet high, and sported some ancient pegs back in the 70's. It needed a good clean then, and I can't imagine th eyears have been kind to it.

Armathwaite or Peel Crag about the same time / distance for Brampton and are both very popular venues for a good reason.

Lankyman 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> It needed a good clean then, and I can't imagine th eyears have been kind to it.

I last visited in the late 80's, Alan - not a pretty sight!

> Armathwaite or Peel Crag about the same time / distance for Brampton and are both very popular venues for a good reason.

Yes, both excellent crags and very different to one another. Mr Spenser appears not to like dolerite? When I lived up there I used to solo regularly on Peel Crag (something I'd be loath to do at Armathwaite). Sunset (MS), Overhanging Crack (MVS) Tiger's Overhang (VS) are all superb routes, Karl.
 spenser 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Lankyman:
I just don't trust the rock/ friction at Crag Lough (admittedly not visited Peel before), my opinion may have also been coloured by my introduction to climbing at the crag being Tarzan's Mate (S 4a) which is definitely not worth the stars it gets in the guidebook. I know that a huge amount of effort has been spent on cleaning up routes at Crag Lough, not least because I went along to the clean up last september, but the quality of the routes I've done at Armathwaite seemed much better and they were also cleaner. I'm heading over to Crag Lough/ Peel on wednesday so will give those routes a go, hopefully my low opinion of the low grade routes at Crag Lough is just due to my climbing partner's poor route choices when I first went there.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Aug 2015
In reply to spenser:

Each to their own. Crag Lough and Peel Crag are two of my favourite crags, Sunset being one of my favourite routes anywhere. Armathwaite is nice (I learned to climb there) but I always save it for when better crags are clagged in.
 tmawer 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Ann S:

Hi Ann. You and I had an enjoyable (for me anyway!) days climbing together a few years ago and my guess, based on very limited knowledge from that day out, would be you may enjoy Peel Crag/Crag Lough more than Armathwaite as there are may more well protected and very good lines to climb, however if cold or wet Armathwaite will be much nicer, and is an extremely pretty place if you have never been. Whatever...have a good day!
OP Ann S 17 Aug 2015
In reply to tmawer:

I well remember that very excellent day at Gouther and following you up that, shall we say interesting Severe., then moving on to what I still call the 'wedding cake' crag. Many thanks for your advice and hope you are still staying active.
OP Ann S 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Ann S:

Thanks to all who have replied. I shall pass this info on to my mate who will no doubt continue to explore all your suggestions in due course as he gets to know the area.
We now have a choice of crags to consider if it stays dry on Thursday. Cheers.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Ann S:

If the weather is really poor and you are keen to climb then the indoor bouldering wall Eden Rock in Carlisle is excellent.
OP Ann S 17 Aug 2015
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Thanks Steve for that. Do they sell nice cream cakes as well-my mate's partial to oozy fat cream cakes and the poor lad has been starving in the Falklands for the last 5 years.
 Gael Force 20 Aug 2015
In reply to spenser:
I thought Tarzan's mate was a really good route...did it this week..
Post edited at 13:52
 Lemony 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Closer to Brampton is Lodges Quarry is located in the trees behind the filling station on the main road at Low Row. It has a number of lines up to about 40 feet high, and sported some ancient pegs back in the 70's. It needed a good clean then, and I can't imagine th eyears have been kind to it.

The years have NOT been kind, it's a walk in, walk out type of crag now.
OP Ann S 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Ann S:

Thanks to all for replies, although we didn't climb, (too much catch up talk to do,) we had a good look at Peel crag and Crag Lough, so my mate now knows where his local crags are. And great food at the Twice Brewed Inn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...