UKC

ML Homepaper - advice not answer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The question posed on the paper is: List three types of rock and name an upland area in the UK where each rock type is the major influence on the landscape.

Now by type of rock do they mean whether igneous intrusion, sedimentary etc... or slate, gritstone, granite, etc..?
And by "influence" do they mean how human exploitation of rock has influenced the landscape (i.e. slate quarries) or how the rock formations influenced the 'mountain building' ?

I would be grateful for advice...

Ta
 Martin Hore 17 Aug 2015
In reply to stucknortherner:

I can't be sure what view your assessor would take but I hope you would be credited with a correct answer whichever meaning you opted for as the question does not make it clear, as you say.

Martin
 Siward 17 Aug 2015

Given the ambiguous question I would refer to both at once, e.g. Sedimentary limestone, metamorphic gneiss etc. I would hazard a guess that they are after specific rock type, e.g gritstone, because landscapes do vary enormously by rock type.
 Billhook 17 Aug 2015

I think both the previous answers are what I'd do. This covers both eventualities.
As for their 'influence' I'd suggest they are looking for visual influence - ie where the types of rock are extremely visibile and obvious. It would also allow you to make a comment about how some of the more usable types of stone, such as slate and sandstone are located etc.,
ultrabumbly 17 Aug 2015

Probably after the general type of terrain you get around different types of rock. e.g. gorges worn into softer rocks. Have a look at http://www.wiley.com/college/strahler/sc/strach16.html for some ideas if you go that route.

Though for such an open question I'd be tempted to list punk and death metal bands and the like formed to ease the boredom of being a teenager in a small town; going on to describe the visual impact of trench coat clad yoofs posing outdoors for sombre b&w photos for their myspace and facebook pages. m/

jezb1 17 Aug 2015

The home papers are more a talking point than anything else, so just do what you think and you'll be fine.

abseil 17 Aug 2015

I'm no expert! But my guesses are - by type of rock they mean e.g. slate, gritstone, granite: by "influence" they mean how the rock influenced the landscape i.e. the shape of mountains and valleys. (So the "influence" would be nothing to do with "human exploitation").

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...