UKC

lawrencefield litter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Been down to lawrencefield tonight and loads of litter (bottles cans abandoned chairs etc) has been left there after a party/bonfire. Mostly to the right of gingerbread slab but other stuff around too. Planning on going down sat or Sunday to clear it up.

If anyone goes down before then and notices it has already been done can you let me know to save a wasted journey.
 solomonkey 19 Aug 2015
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
Well done that man ,
bloody scum of the earth should be put down !
That seems to be some peoples idea of enjoying the countryside ?¿
Post edited at 09:23
 Jo Morrison 19 Aug 2015

We climbed there on a Friday evening a couple of weeks ago and some kids turned up and shouted a lot and threw some stones into the pond at the fish. Fortunately they went away after 5-10 minutes.
 felt 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Ugly Kid Jo:

I'm surprised the fish hung around for that long.
 Shani 19 Aug 2015

I'm heading down now with some bin bags if anyone is free! Will let you know how far I get with the clean up.
In reply to Shani:

Thanks. Just give us an update.
 Shani 19 Aug 2015
The good:
I've picked the main party-site clean of litter. It only took 30 minutes. Five bin bags (and one camping chair) later, it was done.
There were some revellers still there - five pissed stag beetles in a bottle of Corona. Looked like a stag party.

The bad:
There is quite a bit of glass still around. I picked up most of it but they smashed a lot of bottles.
There is a lot of human waste and tissue around (some of which may be from climbers). I didn't really have the kit to tackle this (although I picked some tissue up).
The roadside along to Surprise View could also do with picking - but I didn't have the capacity to pick and carry any more litter. Next time....

The ugly:
Carrying the heavy bin bags (and chair), back to the car provided a great workout. Unfortunately a broken bottle split the bag and pierced my calf!

Thanks for the heads-up Idiotproof. Glad to be able to assist here. One last thing; there is a sheep trapped on the ledge above Gingerbread Slab. It looks distressed. Anyone know who to contact?
Post edited at 15:12
 planetmarshall 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

> One last thing; there is a sheep trapped on the ledge above Gingerbread Slab. It looks distressed. Anyone know who to contact?

Dave Birkett.
 Shani 19 Aug 2015
I reply to planetmarshall:

> Dave Birkett.

Ha. It's only a "Sheep one" so too far for Dave to bother with I'd say. I phoned Longshaw Estate who said they'd contact the farmer. The farmer will hopefully see a pretty clean crag. All good!
 Rob Parsons 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Great effort. Thanks.
 ashtond6 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

thank you
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Many thanks for your efforts Shani.

Doghouse 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Good effort Shani. Thanks.
In reply to Shani:

Thanks,

I'll have to turn my do-goodery towards a different aim.... Aldery is looking a bit overgrown. The BMC pay a guy to do the mowing but the crag could do with some gardening
 David Riley 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Well done Shani, thanks.
 chrissyboy 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Great Job Shani, Lawrencefield is a known venue for raves and that kind of thing, probably due to the easy access and close parking.
Hopefully something will be done to stop this kind of activity but I very much doubt it.
Many thanks again for your hard work.
 chrissyboy 19 Aug 2015

I'm up at Buxton for the weekend, up for helping out if needed.
There most weekends during the summer.
 tehmarks 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Brilliant effort, thank you.
 Ridge 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Well done, excellent work!
 Phil1919 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Nice one. I haven't seen a stag beetle since my early teens in the South east. You say there were 5?! Are they common to spot at this time of year?
 Shani 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

No idea Clint. I'm actually not 100% sure of my identifications. The Corona bottle was half full and as I emptied it out I noticed several large black beetles tumble out. One of them landed upright on a rock and had large antlers. Brilliant sight. Cheered me up in my task.
 Cake 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Shani:

Thanks a lot Shani. Incidentally, i climbed Regent Street at Millstone the week before in the midst of a rave at about 11am when it was still going strong! I was really pleased to see that there were three full bin liners of rubbish there before it had finished and no more broken glass than is always in keyhole cave bay. I wouldn't like to be at my limit regularly with pounding bass in my ears, but overall, I was very encouraged and to me it seemed like the majority of them may not even be scum!

Unfortunately of of the ravers fell off the cliff and had to be air-lifted off. Perhaps we have more in common with these people than meets the eye. It is illegal, but i believe climbers have been known to trespass too.
 olddirtydoggy 20 Aug 2015

We found this pile down there Sunday just gone and we piled up 3 broken chairs next to the empty beer bottles. We took some of the stuff with us but very little due very full, large bags.
This was the worse case of trashing the countryside I've ever seen other than fly tipping. Credits to all involved in the cleanup.
 Garston 20 Aug 2015

Im not from that area and am lucky to live in North Wales but just wanted to say that this is what the climbing community is all about and my absolute respect to those who made the effort or who were willing to.
Im climbing at Craig-Y-Forwen in the morning and would do the same if I saw any mess. I have even considered trying to find the landowner just to buy a bottle of something at Christmas as I have enjoyed his land on many occasions for free!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...