UKC

Water purification advice sought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon manc 19 Aug 2015
Morning All,
Heading out to the Pyrenees soon + need to think about the water situation as I expect there to be cattle everywhere.
What's the best solution for treating water? Ideally it'll be something I can buy from major gear shops.
I've got some Lifesystems chlorine tablets but they look a right faff ie two sets of pills which take up to 15 minutes to work. Do they work/taste OK + are they the best option?
ta.
 marsbar 19 Aug 2015
myrockface 19 Aug 2015
In reply to simon manc:

Sawyer mini filter is the best thing i've used for trekking. Can use it as a straw filter, screw it onto normal bottles, onto a platypus, or use the included pouch - plus it can ba backwashed. Bought it a month ago and am seriously impressed!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Mini-SP128-Multiple-Colours/dp/B00T1LB7PG
 toad 19 Aug 2015
In reply to simon manc:

Ask the Lemming, he's got a lot of experience of this
In reply to simon manc:

Another vote for the Sawyer Mini. Now I have one of these I generally carry no more than a litre of 'backup' water when backpacking, and instead get well hydrated at suitable streams along the route. Can't believe that I use to set out with up to 3 litres of water for a long day in the mountains in the summer, or when bivvying overnight, which is a lot of additional weight to carry.
 nathan79 19 Aug 2015
In reply to simon manc:

Another Sawyer user here, though it's Sawyer Squeeze I've got.
Bought it for a week in the Alps and used it in anger.
Now my purification method of choice. Will be getting plenty Scottish usage too.

Plenty cattle around bacteria and crypto will be your main risks. Crypto is chlorine resistant so that won't cut it for you. Not sure about the likelihood of viruses in the Pyrenees but that's something else to think about.

I see the options as follows:
Boiling- need stove, fuel, pot and boiling time.
UV- small volumes at a time and again time to sterilise.
Chemical (chlorine dioxide has widest spectrum of a killing power)- taste affected and time to sterilise.
Filtration- extra stuff to carry but near instant, initial outlay can be high.
 goatee 19 Aug 2015
In reply to simon manc:

I have never had a problem with the water in the Pyrenees and I drink direct from the streams etc. You do have sheep and cattle in the pastures but you should have lots of opportunity to source clean unpolluted water. Then again I just drink from Alpine,Scottish, Welsh and Irish streams and I've never had any problems.
ultrabumbly 20 Aug 2015
In reply to simon manc:

Another Sawyer user here. Just be aware they are knackered if they get frozen while wet which is about the only bad aspect to them but that won't be a problem I guess for you on this trip. . If you are only out for a few days at a time you can avoid carrying the syringe to backwash (or squeezing through filtered water if it is running hard due to build up) by pre filtering the worst of water, if that is all you can find. I sometimes carry a small coffee filter in my first aid / toilet bag, (in a push it can be used for bum wipeage too). You need some way to make a funnel to make this practical. I use a tinfoil windshield for my stove so I use that to make a funnel.

buy spare bags and only use one for clean if you go this route. You can get them quite cheap in 3 packs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...