UKC

New bike dilemma

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 19 Aug 2015
So I was taking advantage of the C2W scheme and had decided on a Boardman CX Team priced at £799, its all locked in now for the price regarding the wage reduction so I cannot change the voucher value.... Now Halfords have reduced the price to £649. I have all the gear I need so cant use the difference on gear, my choice seems to be buy some extras and sell on or choose a different bike..

So my question is would you keep the boardman and buy some extras to sell on

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike

or get something different? I have seen this at the £799 price but not sure if it would be better than the boardman

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/tifosi-ck6-forte-cyclocros...
Jim C 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

I have been looking at the same senario, but I was told that it has to be for a new and undiscounted bike (have they got that wrong?)
OP cfer 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Apparently so, as I asked and was told I could still have the boardman if I wanted...Im tempted by a new roadie but have my cannondale synapse and wanted to try cyclocross
Jim C 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

Good stuff, I need to re read the paperwork.

Im afraid I have been too long in considering what touring bike to buy that my holiday is now upon me and I'm heading for Orkney Shetland with my old one. Maybe by next year I will be able to make my mind up .
 Quiddity 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:
My opinion is that the Boardman looks like a better bike, but some of that comes down to personal views on SRAM vs. Shimano. I really like SRAM, having spent the summer on a new bike with Rival, so in your position that would probably sway me, though SRAM does seem to divide opinion and others might feel the opposite. On paper Apex is meant to be better than Sora, being roughly equivalent to (or a bit better than) Tiagra, though it has a couple of OEM bits and bobs rather than full Apex. Personally I would get the Boardman and spend the £150 upgrading it a bit.

Can you test ride them to see which you like more?
Post edited at 12:44
Rigid Raider 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

Seconded. Not much to choose between them so test them both.
 Phil79 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

Do you have to stick with Halfords or can you look elsewhere?

Lots of very good value cx/all road bikes around at that price....
OP cfer 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

I have rode the boardman and really liked it so am swayed that way, speaking to the guys in halfords I can use the extra for upgrades....What would be good?

I am stuck with halfords I'm afraid
 Quiddity 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:
Don't know what Halfords will do for you but looking at that spec my wishlist would be, in order:
1. Apex bottom bracket and chainset instead of FSA (FSA Gossamer chainset is ok but the BB on mine was knackered after around 3000km, upgraded both to Rival and the difference is like night and day)
2. Apex front mech instead of Microshift
3. bb7 brakes instead of bb5
4. Then maybe look at the wheels.
Post edited at 13:23
 Phil79 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

> I have rode the boardman and really liked it so am swayed that way, speaking to the guys in halfords I can use the extra for upgrades....What would be good?

> I am stuck with halfords I'm afraid

In which case I'd stick with the Boardman over the Tifosi one, looks a better spec.

You could ask them if they can supply and fit some BB7 cable discs? Apparently a fair bit better than the BB5s that are stock on the Boardman.

Failing that some better wheels?
 Phil79 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Quiddity:

^^ what he said! ^^

OP cfer 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

I have asked for the bike as disassembled as it comes as the local halfords is not great and I would rather do it myself , front mech and bottom bracket are within my skillset so think they will be first
OP cfer 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

Wheels would be great but with only £150 I'm not sure I would feel the benefit as much as other parts
 Quiddity 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:
one thing to bear in mind is the FSA crankset the bike is spec'd with is only compatible with an FSA bottom bracket, so it makes sense to upgrade these two components together. Should be cheaper if you do it at the outset rather than further down the line?
Have fun!
Post edited at 13:54
 Scomuir 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Quiddity:

I got the CX team earlier this year, and really like it. However, the FSA bottom bracket lasted all of 50 miles before a clicking appeared. Halfords replaced it with the Apex under warranty. It didn't seem like a shock to them...
 AlisonSmiles 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Phil79:

A third in favour of upgrading from BB5s. I have become very very good at adjusting them during rides (master of doing this at red traffic lights now), and at replacing the pads. They have a disconcerting way of going from working to having no function at all without anything in between. Every time I'm about to descend I notice I'm in the habit of just checking that I actually have brakes.
Rigid Raider 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Scomuir:

The FSA BB30 has a design problem, which is easily solved with the application of bearing fit compound to the BB axle. This solves the clicking permanently.
 Phil79 19 Aug 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Yes I've heard they are very fiddly. (Gloat alert) Makes me glad I've got hydraulics!
 Scomuir 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I didn't know that, and of course, Halfords wouldn't know that either, any more than they knew how to hand over a bike with the handlebars aligned and without any play in the head tube.
 andy 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer: If it's the Halford's bike to work scheme there are a number of independent shops that can take their vouchers (Chevin Sports in Otley is one, for example) - if you ring their helpline they'll tell you. It's supposed to be so you can get certain bikes that halford's don't stock (Trek is one, I think), but basically it gets you a better choice of dealers and reduces the chance of your bike dropping to bits.

TobyA 19 Aug 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
> A third in favour of upgrading from BB5s. I have become very very good at adjusting them during rides (master of doing this at red traffic lights now), and at replacing the pads. They have a disconcerting way of going from working to having no function at all without anything in between.

A fourth to this! I have the original Boardman CX Comp, with carbon forks, from 3 years back http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-cx-comp/ (scroll down a bit). Actually mine looks very very much like what is now the CX Team. I think it's the same frameset. I've done huge amounts of riding on it including CX races and quite technical off road, so the I think the frame is very good - for me at least - but the brakes are weak point. I'm currently seriously considering buying TRP HY/RDs for it as hydraulics are one thing I miss from my previous commuter/bikepacking bike - a hybrid. Mine also came with a micro shift front mech which was junky, I soon bought a Sora one which has done good service from 2.5 years since. Mine came with Sora and my other bike is 105 so I don't have any experience of SRAM. Moving to hilly Sheffield I decided mine was geared too low, so I bought a new back bloc (up to 32 I think from 25 or 28?) and had to buy a new mech that could deal with the bigger cog.
Post edited at 15:01
 AlisonSmiles 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Phil79:

They were indeed fiddly the first time of adjusting and the first time of fitting new ones. However, I've now had so much practice at it ... ... ...
 Chris the Tall 19 Aug 2015
In reply to cfer:

> Wheels would be great but with only £150 I'm not sure I would feel the benefit as much as other parts

Slight tangent, but I was looking at upgrading the wheels on my Cannondale Synapse and found that for disc compatible wheels there was a very limited choice, and either less than £150 a pair, or over £750. Hopefully more will come out in the next year or so.

Having spare wheels is always useful, though possibly less so if you have both a road and a CX bike. Other than that, stock up on spare tyres, chains, cassette etc.
 Stig 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:
It's bizarre isn't it? 700c disc bikes have been proliferating for years so it's inexplicable that there isn't a good market for upgrade options, particularly when so many CX-style bikes come with such poor stock wheels. Even more puzzling as eBay is chock full of people selling their CX stock wheels so they must be upgrading to something.

I take it you have discounted Mavic One disc? (and if so I'd be interested as to your reason?) They are impressively light for such a cheap wheelset and I've never had a problem with Mavics. Also maybe Superstar? MTB background so maybe some CX pedigree and they seem to have a wide range and get good reviews.

Edit: see you're talking about a Synapse but the point about Mavic and Superstar applies.
Post edited at 18:31
 TobyA 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Stig:

When my mate fell asleep and rode my CX bike into a ditch (longish story) he bent the front wheel somewhat. Being a lovely chap he was far more worried about this than his broken collar bone and insisted he bought me a new wheel pronto, possibly before going to the doctors to have his shoulder checked out. I found exactly what you say, but not sure how I worked it out, or who told me, but basically I bought a 29" wheel and it is great. Perhaps weighs a tiny bit more than the stock wheel but otherwise fine. I guess the etero size or whatever its called is the same for a 700c and 29er.
 Stig 19 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Last year I managed to get a front Mavic Speedcity (think that's the name) from ebay for only £30, but I can't for the life of me find a rear one to match. These wheels are pretty old but are fairly light and very robust. I want two sets so I don't have to swap over between winter tyres and summer tyres - this is for my CX bike which I use for commuting year round.

So ideally I'd like a set of road disk wheels - that are fairly light - many 'proper' CX wheels are close to 2kg which isn't acceptable for summer road use.... but paying the sort of money Chris is talking about is also not acceptable.

Anyway, seems like Mavic 1 fits the bill but weird how little choice there is, even from someone like Shimano.
 Stig 19 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

PS, I do remember you saying that about the ditch but falling asleep at the wheel=pretty nuts!
 Chris the Tall 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Stig:

At the moment I'm sticking with the originals - bike rehab in sheff did a great job of straightening the rear, there's still a flat spot but I can live with that. I think the mavic one is the £150 pair I saw, but my guess is that they won't be much of an upgrade. Not that it's easy to make a comparison, but something tells me that a £1200 bike will have wheels worth a bit more. Maybe I'm wrong

One option that was recommended to me was to get some custom made, and there is a local shop - just riding along - that do that.
 TobyA 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Stig:

> PS, I do remember you saying that about the ditch but falling asleep at the wheel=pretty nuts!

He was desperate to go for a ride but had just flown Adelaide-Helsinki which is about 24 hours with the various transfers, with a baby who hadn't slept. So these things happen.
 Phil79 20 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

You're probably right, given how few dedicated aftermarket 'CX' wheels appear to be around, most people must be upgrading to 29er wheels.

The 'bead seat diameter' for both 29 and 700cc is 622mm, and I think most Mtb and cx frames/hubs have the same width (overlock nut dimension) of 135mm, so they should be perfectly compatible.

Given how many lightweight xc 29er wheelsets there are around, then why not?
 Phil79 20 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Actually having said that, I have a feeling I read that most road frames (and presumable CX frames?) have drop out width of 130mm, versus 135mm on an mtb. Probably not an issue for forks which flex a fair bit anyway, but could be an issue with rear dropouts. I think I'll look at this in a bit more detail.
 Escher 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Phil79:
130mm is for rim brakes and 135 for disc hubs so it depends on the bike. Road and cx can be either.
Post edited at 10:13
 Phil79 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Escher:

So if you already have a disc equipped CX bike, its will be 135mm and hence 29er wheels should be a goer?

Interesting....
 Escher 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Phil79:

Yep, you just need to consider what size tyres you want to use, the clearance of your frame if you want to use larger tyres and the inner width of the rim. 29er rims are wider so you can mount larger volume tyres whereas CX tyres are more slender, so it would be best to go with least width rims you can find so maybe 18-20mm. On a MTB you can go up to 35-40mm these days. Handbuilt will allow you to specify your exact requirements.
 Phil79 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Escher:

Thanks for the info, that answers lots of questions swirling around my head!
OP cfer 08 Sep 2015
In reply to cfer:

So Ive had the bike a couple of days now, its really nice. Was further reduced in store so at £649 was a bargain

Took it from halfords boxed and set it up myself, was a bit fiddly with the front mech but as I have the SRAM one coming this week I didnt worry too much.

Had a blast through local woods and country park and its so much fun. Commuting is good as well. Was worried about the tyres(rapid robs) but they dont affect my speed..Suspect that losing a few kgs is going to be first on the list before I worry about tyres and wheels.

Only issue is the 11% hill just at the end of the ride home.....Jesus its a bugger

jorden12 09 Sep 2015
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike Reviews reclining exercise device includes a aired seat back and padded contoured seat to bring grade of added comfort to just about each effort on that .
For Revies watch the video
youtube.com/watch?v=LfvCykJa-r8&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...