UKC

VIDEOS: Blast from the 70's - Trilogy of British Climbing Films

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Aug 2015
Rock Athlete, 3 kbIt's rare to find quality historical footage of climbing, but this trio of films are amongst the best we've ever seen. Created in the late 1970's by Sid Perou, they document the changing scenes of British climbing as traditional ethics and "a 60's enthusiasm for technology" collided. A forward-thinking generation had begun bolting harder lines, developing new equipment and pushing the physical limits of performance through the peculiar disciplines of bouldering and indoor climbing.

Read more
 Owen W-G 19 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff. Different world back then. I just about remember those cars from my childhood.

First footage too I've seen of the infamous Bosi cravasse jump on video 2.
 GridNorth 19 Aug 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

On Video 3, one of the cars is mine. If you watch closely at about 2.05 as Ron and Chris pull onto the CC field my white Triumph Dolomite Sprint makes an appearance in between 2 other cars parked by the hut.

Al
munichhannah 19 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Such an enjoyable video for me to watch, coming from a newer generation (32 yrs old?)

The opening scenes are aesthetically beautiful - maybe I am too happy, but the video shows a form moving gracefully over the earth in an simple yet complex and respectful dance corresponding to the form of the Earth at that particular point in time... something I and perhaps we all can relate to. Apparently irrespective of interests, gender or sexuality, (I am an out trans lesbian woman), I can appreciate the beauty of those scenes and the human form. It is nature's beauty. Maybe we do not need to be extreme climbers to have a basic understanding of what the climber is feeling in that moment. Maybe not even climbers. Maybe just human. This video has allowed me for the first time in a long time, a simple appreciation of my own dance through life, sometimes on rock, sometimes on plastic, sometimes in my head.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day, Hannah xxx
munichhannah 19 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

ps hello to all *ukcers (that seems wrong somehow)

I am new to posting here, I have had a profile for a while but somehow never felt like posting... I love steep nature and human equality.

-hannah x
 Alex Thompson 19 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great set of programmes, Sid has uploaded a load more of his films on YouTube! Fun viewing.
 Postmanpat 19 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> On Video 3, one of the cars is mine. If you watch closely at about 2.05 as Ron and Chris pull onto the CC field my white Triumph Dolomite Sprint makes an appearance in between 2 other cars parked by the hut.
>

That's a last great problem solved! 40 years I've been wondering who that car belonged to

GridNorth 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Glad I've put that one to rest for you. Only 4 more cars to go.

Al
 Postmanpat 20 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:
> Glad I've put that one to rest for you. Only 4 more cars to go.

> Al

Can you tell me whether Pete Gomersall regularly climbed in a jock strap (or maybe bikini bottoms?) as he does in the first video on Grand Alliance (around 20 minutes in I think)
Post edited at 11:11
 GridNorth 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

I don't wish to discuss Pete Gomersoll's jock strap but I can tell you that it was many years before he could bring himself to wear a harness with legs loops instead preferring a simple waist belt.

Al
 Postmanpat 20 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> I don't wish to discuss Pete Gomersoll's jock strap but I can tell you that it was many years before he could bring himself to wear a harness with legs loops instead preferring a simple waist belt.

> Al

When the option was a Whillan's harness he might have been the wise one!
In reply to Alex Thompson:

Do you have a link to his page please?
 GridNorth 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Agreed. There used to be a pre Whillans harness with leg loops. I think it was called a Davek or something like that, but it was only considered suitable for aid climbing and never caught on. I started with a bowline round the waist then a hemp line wrapped around the waist before progressing to a couple of waist belts. The first was made by Tanky Stokes in Sheffield but I then acquired a Troll one which was a little broader (better???).

Al
 Postmanpat 20 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:
> The first was made by Tanky Stokes in Sheffield but I then acquired a Troll one which was a little broader (better???).>

The Whillans was certainly a good reason why the leader should never fall…….
Post edited at 12:32
 GridNorth 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

A bowline round the waist was an even better reason not to fall. I busted a couple of ribs back in 1966 and it was said that you only had 12 minutes to survive if hanging free.

Al
 Postmanpat 20 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> A bowline round the waist was an even better reason not to fall. I busted a couple of ribs back in 1966 and it was said that you only had 12 minutes to survive if hanging free.

> Al

Never led on one I don't think but certainly got some very bruised ribs from top roping at Harrisons on one...
 Lurking Dave 20 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Loved that.

:-D

Cheers
LD
 Mick Ward 20 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Nostalgia Avenue. Thanks so much for putting this on.

Mick
 John2 20 Aug 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Personally, I thought the fact that Lord of the Flies was led with a waist belay more remarkable than the Whillans harness.

Rob Parsons 20 Aug 2015
In reply to James Paul Robinson:

> Do you have a link to his page please?

www.youtube.com/user/Cavingcameraman
 pneame 20 Aug 2015
In reply to John2:

> Personally, I thought the fact that Lord of the Flies was led with a waist belay more remarkable than the Whillans harness.

Why? - you can do a nice soft catch with a waist belay. Great for poor gear.

Bobling 23 Aug 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Just watched all three - great stuff!
 Oogachooga 23 Aug 2015
In reply to munichhannah:

Cool videos but it's great to compare it to modern climbing in its glistening hd quality and 1 finger monos!

Hey Hannah, what's a good stelplatz in Munich for access to the town?
 Alex Thompson 30 Aug 2015
In reply to James Paul Robinson:

Err, just followed the Youtube links from the article?
https://www.youtube.com/user/Cavingcameraman/videos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...