UKC

Rab Calibre trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
2powern 20 Aug 2015
I'm after a pair of Winter weight softshell kecks for when my Montane Super Terra pants just don't have enough warmth or wind resistance. Does anyone have any experience with the Rab Calibre pants or suggestions for an alternative? Ideally I want 28in waist and 30in leg. Although I can settle with a 30in waist.
All the best and thanks in advance.
In reply to 2powern:

Hi there,

I've used them quite a bit.

They are very windproof, but not that warm or weather resistant. In foul Scottish weather you will need to wear waterproof over trousers. I have always worn leggings underneath them.

They are cut quite well though a bit on the baggy side. The kevlar knee patch, although it looks a bit silly is very grippy when mixed climbing.

That said you can Arcteryx Gamma Ar pants for the same price. I'd go for them instead if I were you. The cut is much trimmer, the design is simpler and the DWR is better.
2powern 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Cheers for the quick response.

The Arcteryx trews look very nice indeed, however I run very warm and pretty much need thigh vents for walk ins no matter the season.
Would you know how the Rabs compare to Mountain Equipment's G2 ultimate mountain pants?
In reply to 2powern:

> Cheers for the quick response.

> The Arcteryx trews look very nice indeed, however I run very warm and pretty much need thigh vents for walk ins no matter the season.

The Arc ones are a bit thinner and I have found the fabric to be plenty breathable. I've used the Arc ones for summer alpine (without leggings) no problems and didn't find them too hot. I would have found both the ME and Rab trousers too hot for most summer alpine. in my view they are the best all round.

> Would you know how the Rabs compare to Mountain Equipment's G2 ultimate mountain pants?

I've had a pair of the ME's too. They've got slightly less stretch and are less breathable. However they are the most windproof of the three.
2powern 21 Aug 2015

I've already got a pair of the ME G2s, I'd found the Rabs for cheap and got tempted. Looks like I've talked myself out of the purchase. Thanks for your help!
 girlymonkey 22 Aug 2015
In reply to 2powern:

No knowledge of the ones you mention, however Decathlon sell Simmond winter soft shells that are brilliant. I used them day in, day out on the 2 seasons when I did my winter ML and they still look like new. Super comfy and robust (I think I paid £40 for them)
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thought UKC had failed for a moment...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-pants-id_8010075.html
In reply to 2powern:

I'm selling a pair of these in large. Drop me a line if you're interest... Cheers
2powern 22 Aug 2015

Too big for me, cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...