UKC

Rockfax on Google maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Aug 2015
This is doing my head in. If I search for Lawrencefield quarry on my Google maps app on my phone, the search bar immediately re-fills itself with Rockfax, in Crookes, Sheffield.
Any ideas?
 Oldsign 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:
Stick these coord's into the app: 53.317000, -1.623600 and it should come up.

You can find them on the logbooks on here. Hope it helps.
Post edited at 05:03

That is because you are doing a general Google search on a map so it returns the first address it gets hold of in its search results.

If you do this same search in google itself then you get UKC and Rockfax at the top of the list (both of which Google correctly thinks are based here in Crookes). The UKC link takes you to the logbook crag entry which has a pin on the map.

This is just an example, of which there are many, of crag locations which have names that aren't on maps and often only used by climbers.

Alan
Removed User 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Cool, thanks for the replies. It seems bizarre that it would enter something completely incorrect, rather than showing a message that says, 'not found', or something like that. You're exactly right though, as the nice man from the Google forum told me. Cheers.

It is an example of Google Maps trying to be a bit too clever although so far we haven't had anyone turning up at the door looking for Billy Whiz!

Alan
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Aug 2015

> It is an example of Google Maps trying to be a bit too clever although so far we haven't had anyone turning up at the door looking for Billy Whiz!

> Alan

...... Though it is only a matter of time

Chris
 jon 21 Aug 2015

Or, hopefully, an old lady looking for Oedipus...
 Pedro50 21 Aug 2015
In reply to jon:

Wouldn't she have telephoned first?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...