UKC

La Vuelta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 21 Aug 2015
Is the strongest lineup ever ? Actually last years was pretty strong but nonetheless having the top 3 from the tour, plus the 5th place. must be unusual. Will they have all recovered ? Or will it be Aru - assuming that it is, he doesn't have to work for Nibbles. And will Quintana be working for Valverde, as a thank you for his loyalty at the tour ?

Anyway, should be a fascinating race and it starts tomorrow - or maybe not. It seems the riders have protested about riding on the beach and the TTT has been neutralised - the consensu amongst both riders and the press is that the course was a joke.

Looking forward to Stage 2, which finishes at El Chorro, presumably at the start of the Camino del Rey rather than halfway along it, but you never know.

Who's your money on ?
 balmybaldwin 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Hard one to call this... but I expect it to be Quintana's race (assuming he isn't backing Valverde)

I think we'll see Froome fading a bit, but still challenging, Nibbles will be keen to perform after a frankly poor year. If Valverde is still on form (after being on form for spring classics all the way to the TDF) then he must be the most suspicious rider on 2 wheels

I haven't looked at the course, but I presume it is the usual Vuelta style with lots of vicious finishes (even to some flat stages)
 Toby_W 21 Aug 2015

I saw a picture of the TTT course being ridden by sky and I thought that can't be right. It was basically along the sandy promenade at the top of the beach.
No idea on who may win but it would be great to see Quintana and Froome battle it out but without his early losses as in the tour.

Cheers

Toby
 Mike Highbury 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Toby_W: Be even better to see Valverde win; I love that man.
 Escher 21 Aug 2015

The TTT course is bonkers, check out this recce of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqaBOJNejI&app=desktop
 DaveHK 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:
> Be even better to see Valverde win; I love that man.

I'm known to scream 'anyone but Valverde' at the telly.
Post edited at 15:35
 Mike Highbury 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Escher:

> The TTT course is bonkers, check out this recce of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqaBOJNejI&app=desktop

Sadly the times won't count but the stage will have a winner.
 radar 21 Aug 2015

Froome, as is now becoming the tradition, is using la Vuelta as training for next year's TdF. G, probably the same - the big question is will he be targeting the Classics or the Giro as leader next year? Then TdF as trusty sidekick.

Quintana and Senõr Hairplugs... Movistar's inability to ride as one team united behind one leader for GC will become even more evident than it was at the Tour. Expect massive infighting, resulting in neither party winning. Was Valverde riding in support of Nairo in July, I'm not 100% convinced

Nibbles. In theory should be freshest of the big names as he wasn't really there in July. Again, potentially 2 or 3 team leaders in Astana. Could be handbags at dawn.

Katusha, seem to be self destructing before the race has even begun. Positive drugs test, riders being benched for drunken abusive behaviour etc... they just need a sex scandal for the tabloid bingo full house.

Who will win? Really wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish* rider comes riding out of a cloud of suspicion to take the win (think 2011). Expect the big guns to be too tired or mired in team infighting to properly figure.

*All due to the Spanish antidoping credo of "don't get caught"

Tomorrow's beach TTT ride has been neutralised for the GC. It will only count towards overall team standings. Joke! Either the course is safe, or unsafe to ride. Surely there must be another 8km stretch of road the organisers could find at short notice? Race commisariat clearly going for a compromise to appease race organisers.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

If it weren't for the Nibali factor I say Aru. As Bertie showed it's pretty hard to compete on GC at successive tours. With Landa leaving this year and Nibali's contract up next, you'd think Astana would back Aru, but you can never be sure with Vino.

I wonder if TJvG will benefit from having missed the brutal finale at the tour and will come good now ? Rafal Majka is another good outside bet, having not overdone it at the tour, but might just go for stage wins. Likewise Martin and Talansky

Aru, Quintana, Froome ????
 Andy Say 21 Aug 2015
In reply to radar:

> Froome, as is now becoming the tradition, is using la Vuelta as training for next year's TdF. G, probably the same - the big question is will he be targeting the Classics or the Giro as leader next year?

Does that really make any sense at all? You use an event as 'training' for another event 10 months later?
 radar 21 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Say:
I know what you mean, traditionally it wouldn't make sense, but with Tim Kerrison's ideas turning traditional cycle training on its head it probably makes sense. If you look at the Tour results from 2011 onwards all the winners had podiumed in the previous year's Vuelta. Only Nibali's victory last year is the exception (and it could be argued he only won that because Froome and Dirty Bertie crashed out). The perceived wisdom is that taking mega fitness and super skinniness into the rest period means the body rests and repairs itself rather than putting down fat reserves and losing top end fitness. As a result the GC contenders come out of the winter layoff a couple of steps ahead in their training schedule for the forthcoming season.

If you think that traditionally the Giro has often been used as training for the Tour rather than as a goal in itself, then look at a 12 month training schedule rather than the training starts January 1st, it sort of makes sense.
In reply to radar:

What you say may be true - I have heard that theory elsewhere. Actually it makes sense if you're like me and you eat/drink more when injured/hiding from the rain and knocking around the house than when you're out on your bike!

But that's not to say that Froome is just using it as a training exercise - although I did presume your post was a bit tongue in cheek. If he didn't want to make a genuine attempt he could still ride in support of his team mates, as a thank you and morale booster. Which of course he might still do if he finds he hasn't got the legs/head for it. But I think after coming second twice he'd really like to win it. And the list of riders to win all 3 grand tours is pretty short, but does include Bertie and nibbles.
 nufkin 23 Aug 2015

Is ITV 4 showing the stages live during the week, does anyone know, or just doing evening highlights? I tuned in hopefully this afternoon, but it seems to be touring cars till gone 18:00
 Gazlynn 23 Aug 2015
In reply to nufkin:
I think it's only Eurosport that's showing it live and it's only highlights on ITV4.

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 17:16
 DaveHK 23 Aug 2015

Wow! A great finish today.

Nibali Dqed for one of the most blatant acts of cheating since 1904

http://twitter.com/Eurosport_FR/status/635520041585373184/video/1

Itv seemed to think Quintana is sacrificing himself for valverde, but he managed to nick a few seconds from everyone today. It's not as if tomorrow is another tough stage
 Andy Say 23 Aug 2015

As a complete aside (apologies) I was a bit bemused by some of the graffiti I spotted around some of the cols in the Vanois last month.

'FROM=EPO+'

But then I realised they couldn't spell 'Froome'.
 abr1966 24 Aug 2015

Big big big call!!! Glad... but it'll put the cat amongst the pigeons!!
 DaveHK 24 Aug 2015

If Carlton Kirby uses the word 'squirrelling' once more I fear I shall put my foot through the telly.
 balmybaldwin 24 Aug 2015

Great to see Sagan get a ground tour win again.
 Dave the Rave 24 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> If Carlton Kirby uses the word 'squirrelling' once more I fear I shall put my foot through the telly.

What is squirrelling in cycling terms? Fiddling with your nuts or getting run over by a car?
 Quiddity 24 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

The sound of CK chuckling at his own bad jokes is really starting to get to me.
 Mike Highbury 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Quiddity:

> The sound of CK chuckling at his own bad jokes is really starting to get to me.

Since the majority of us watch it on a pirate stream it seems poor manners to complain too loudly.
 Oujmik 25 Aug 2015

I assume Kirby is on Eurosport? Why not try the ITV4 coverage. They've got Ned Boulton and David Millar - one of the better combinations I've heard, plus Gary Imlach doing his legendary intros.
 Chris Harris 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

> I assume Kirby is on Eurosport? Why not try the ITV4 coverage. They've got Ned Boulton

Ned Boulting.

Not on grit though, obviously.
In reply to Oujmik:

> I assume Kirby is on Eurosport? Why not try the ITV4 coverage. They've got Ned Boulton and David Millar - one of the better combinations I've heard, plus Gary Imlach doing his legendary intros.

ITV4 doesn't show it live.
 Oujmik 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

Yes, Boulting, that's the one. Personally I prefer highlights to live coverage, indeed on stages like yesterday's I'd have preferred a highlights of the highlights.
 DaveHK 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I use eurosport because I like to watch it with a cuppa when I get home from work and fast forward to the last 10k or thereabouts!
In reply to Oujmik:

The classic half hour TDF progs (8pm, proper TV) were the best. 7pm is too early, and although they do have some great padding features in the TDF progs, they are missing from the vuelta - probably because it's a smaller, but more knowledgable/obsessive audience. Some nice scenery, but we only got glimpses of El Chorro and the lakes and a lot of dusty roads in the middle of nowhere. Or the middle of one of those oddly deserted towns.

Half an hour would be fine, but then ITV would have to fill it with more episodes of Storage Wars

> The classic half hour TDF progs (8pm, proper TV)

With a comment like that, I'd have thought you'd get in a reference to the early evening Ch4 highlights programme in 1985 (at 5pm, I seem to recall) .

I started watching in 89 - definitely on C4 - but maybe it was 6pm rather than 8pm ?

Classic credits and theme music by Pete Shelly

youtube.com/watch?v=1IMjb6sU5Mg&
In reply to Chris the Tall: Excellent. I'd forgotten what the titles looked like but remembered the Frere Jacques bit, the only French song we could sing in those days.

In the mid-1980s C4 showed the classics live, even the Amstel Gold. I can't recall how long that lasted; were they still doing it in 1989?

It's possible. I think I became aware of such races about the time of the Leeds "classic", 91 or 92, because it was billed as being part of a series of one day races, and some of them may have been on TV. Or not

Meanwhile, back at the race, who's leading Sky - Froome or Roche ? Are they hedging their bets, an indication that they aren't entirely sure Froome will have the legs when the longer climbs arrive. Which of course, is the story as at Movistar and possibly still Astana - makes it all the more interesting
 DaveHK 25 Aug 2015
Roche loves the Vuelta and will be super psyched but he's not a real contender is he? Would love to see him take a stage though.
Post edited at 21:28
 abr1966 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Got to feel for him....came very close the last 2 days! It'll be interesting to see if froome or quintana ride themselves into the race or fade...
 DaveHK 25 Aug 2015

To go back to the commentary thing. Just watched the stage highlights on ITV4 having also watched it live with Eurosport. Do the ITV team do their commentary live? Seems just a little too polished for that but either way David Millar is well worth listening to.

I love to hear what Kelly has to say on Eurosport but Kirby doesn't have the wit to realise that it's up to him to draw the good stuff out of Kelly.
 DaveHK 25 Aug 2015
In reply to abr1966:

> Got to feel for him....came very close the last 2 days!

I was really rooting for him and he's rode perfectly to his strengths.
In reply to DaveHK:

I know a lot of people can't stand Millar, but I get the impression he knows what he's talking about - he seems very good are explaining why people are where they are in the closing stages
 DaveHK 25 Aug 2015

I really didn't like his autobiography but I'm growing to like his commentary.
 GrahamD 26 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

His commentary this year is way better than last year - his delivery is much more relaxed and engageing
 The New NickB 26 Aug 2015

Miller always did the "road captain" job very well, 2011 World Championships being a good example, so you would expect him to be able to talk well about the tactical and positioning elements of the race. More instinctive sports people, whilst brilliant at the sport, often can't describe it.
 Bob 26 Aug 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> His commentary this year is way better than last year - his delivery is much more relaxed and engaging

Probably fewer nerves plus possibly a bit of coaching.

Agree with Chris about his insights and how contenders for the stage win (and GC) place and use their team mates.

I feel he actually tries to explain too much and repeat points he's making but he's still new to it. Hopefully he will develop a more measured delivery. I thought the guy they used in the studio in previous years was superb and his analysis always totally spot on (I gather he's gone into team management) I hope he wasn't replaced purely because Millar has a higher profile.
Tony Simpson 26 Aug 2015

How can you say Quintana's had a bad year...... Ok he did not win the TDF but.....

2nd Place TDF

1st Place young rider TDF

Now I think most riders would be happy with that for a season
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Roger Hammond wasn't it ? Sorry, thought he was a bit wooden. I imagine Millar has invested in some training cos he seems to have hit the ground running
 balmybaldwin 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Tony Simpson:

> How can you say Quintana's had a bad year...... Ok he did not win the TDF but.....

> 2nd Place TDF

> 1st Place young rider TDF

> Now I think most riders would be happy with that for a season

I think you've misread my post... I said Nibbles has had a bad year (which has got worse!)

I really like this Chavez bloke that's in Red now.... never seen such a happy pro!
 Bob 26 Aug 2015

He's like a kid in a sweetshop isn't he? "What!? I can have what I want? And you aren't going to tell mum?"
 balmybaldwin 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

It's just one of those smiles that makes you a little happier inside - great to see that sort of enthusiasm
 abr1966 26 Aug 2015

Great day for orica greenedge!
In reply to abr1966:

> Great day for orica greenedge!

Followed by an even better one. Will be interesting to see how Chavez gets on today, you'd expect him to fade and one of big guns come to fore, but you never know
 Mike Highbury 28 Aug 2015

> Followed by an even better one.

A joyful day. Let's hope Aru keeps it together throughout this tour.

Sir Chasm 29 Aug 2015

> A joyful day. Let's hope Aru keeps it together throughout this tour.

Dirty team, dirty rider?

Terrible day for crashes today

How can you crash like this https://twitter.com/jjrojillas/status/637695391438344192 and merely be annoyed that you have blown a chance of a stage win. Has any worked out what happened between Sagan and the moto ? And more bad luck for Dan martin - is he the new geraint Thomas?

Apparently Sagan was taken out by a Shimano neutral service motorbike which was overtaking the group of riders. http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/galerias/fotografias-atropello-Peter-Sagan-Vue...
Sagan has been fined “for threats and insults,” and“behaviour which damages the image of cycling.”

Boeckmans reported to be in a medically induced coma. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
 balmybaldwin 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Unknown Climber:

You could just make out Sagan summersaulting along minus bike in the highlight footage. He must have been hit very hard. Utterly disgraceful that he's been fined.

Boekmans crash looked, and sounded from the description, horrible I hope he's OK. You could tell from the reactions of riders round him that he was seriously hurt.

Martin seems to fall hard regularly... Was it last years giro or this year that he face planted (again!)? Or am I confusing my Martins?

And TJ has had an awful season too

Is it me or is it worse than it used to be?

Dan martin had a couple of high profile crashes last year - first at LBL,which was blamed on a biro on a corner and cost him a good chance of victory, and then at the Giro in the TTT in Ireland, where he broke his collarbone. Still not sure on how bad he is this time, but the suggestion is that he won't ride again this year.

Boekmans was apparently taking a drink when hit a pothole, hope he makes a full recovery, but sounds worrying.

Crashes involving motos and neutral service vehicles have definitely been a feature this year, no wonder Sagan is annoyed
 balmybaldwin 30 Aug 2015
In reply to tim000:

A real shame, but not surprised with that amount is f burns on his er... Saddle area

I imagine there will be a shimano driver training course over the winter.... It makes me wonder if they'll do away with neutral service.... They are virtually unused anyway
 balmybaldwin 30 Aug 2015

I see yesterday's winner has abandoned too with a broken scaphoid! Must be one of the worst stages for abandonment ever
 DaveHK 30 Aug 2015

> How can you crash like this https://twitter.com/jjrojillas/status/637695391438344192 and merely be annoyed that you have blown a chance of a stage win.

What was the name of that Spanish pro who lost his leg? It was a similar sort of crash to that except the upright of the barrier basically took his lower leg off. IIRC he resurfaced after a few years convalescence as a top para-cyclist.
 DaveHK 30 Aug 2015

Wow wow wow! What an amazing finish. It's been a wee while since I've shouted at the telly like that!
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, quite a thriller. With G in the break I thought it was an indication that the team had given up on Froome. Which seemed to be confirmed when he was dropped. Great bluff, or was he really unsure of his form ? Either way he paced himself almost to perfection. All very close between the main favourites - 5 seconds between them - and whilst dumolin has been a revelation surely the bigger climbs will do for him.

Always sad to see Sagan leave, but you can't blame him. Off the race and with a bigger fine than his Nibs, WTF ? The problem is that we all like the images these motos provide
 balmybaldwin 31 Aug 2015
Fantastic stage, and great ride by Froome. The Spanish like their steep tarmac don't they! That must have been 30% in places.

Re the motorbikes thing... They do need to be managed better (maybe designated passing zones where the riders are aware and the road is wider? and a huge number are press/stills photographers who could surely take stills from the video feed? plus with live on bike footage we should be able to reduce the sheer number of them a bit - there's over 100 motorbikes alone!
Post edited at 01:42
 Greasy Prusiks 31 Aug 2015

Boeckmans has been given the all clear for any brain injurys.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lotto-soudal-confirm-no-brain-injuries-for-...
 wilkesley 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

I think that they are going to keep him in the induced coma for another seven days. From what I read this is to allow the inflammation in his lungs to go down. Let's hope he wakes up OK and makes a good recovery.
 Greasy Prusiks 01 Sep 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

Yeah best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 balmybaldwin 01 Sep 2015

It does sound properly nasty, but optimistic
 balmybaldwin 02 Sep 2015

Beast of a stage today, doubt we'll see Froome tomorrow.Poor route choice today I thought tho. Just too tough and seems like a bit of a decider today and this should have been later in the race, which is a shame as the race was bubbling away nicely.
 Escher 02 Sep 2015

You think the GC is over after that stage? Looks like it's all set up to me. The riders from the tour: Quintana, Froome, Piti etc. all look cooked but that's no real surprise. The race between Chaves, Aru and Dumoulin is really good, going to be really interesting and certainly nowhere near already decided with the TT coming up and it being unknown whether he can still climb well over 3 weeks. Agree that the stage was too hard but it hasn't killed off the GC in my opinion.

Hope Tinkoff doesn't pull his team out though but something needs to be sorted before someone gets killed.
 balmybaldwin 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Escher:

I think we might see a rider protest against the bikes or some kind of action.

Hope you are right about the gc, I would love to see Chavez up there.
 abr1966 02 Sep 2015

I agree about that stage today....there seems to have been a theme of making things harder as a spectacle over the past few years. I genuinely think a bitore thought could be put in to the makeup of the stages. I know its hard and probably so much to it but there just seems a lot of potential for serious injuries at the moment due to some of the stage routes.
 nufkin 02 Sep 2015
In reply to abr1966:

> I know its hard and probably so much to it but there just seems a lot of potential for serious injuries at the moment due to some of the stage routes.

Some of the route barely looked wider than a cycle path today (though apparently with lovely new tarmac) - it's no wonder the bikes keep getting too close. Coming down them must be a right old puckerfest

Sounds like Froome had a real rookie fall - 5 miles in, uphill, low speed, lack of attention. Who knows how he would have fared otherwise, but it does look the others who went hard at the tour all suffered - really surprised at Quintana.

I seem to remember Aru being pretty poor at the TT, if so he'll need quite a buffer over Dumolin. Quite a few uphill finishes before then, so this race is far from over. Was the stage too hard ? Don't think so, it hasn't killed the race. Anyway, it's good that there is no set formula, good that they change and innovate. Ok, maybe not with TTTs on beachs and boardwalks, but otherwise.
 DaveHK 03 Sep 2015

> > I seem to remember Aru being pretty poor at the TT, if so he'll need quite a buffer over Dumolin. Quite a few uphill finishes before then, so this race is far from over.

Potential for Dumoulin to take a couple on minutes out of Aru in the TT but there's plenty of opportunities for Aru to build a buffer that big.
 DaveHK 03 Sep 2015

Oh and when is someone going to do the numbers on Dumoulin's power to weight ratio on the climbs?
 Bob 03 Sep 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Just seen that Chris Froome has abandoned - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34136338 . His crash early on yesterday's stage must have done more damage than first thought, though he did look in serious pain at the post race interview on the highlights show.
 balmybaldwin 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:

Saying its a fractured ankle. Chapeau for finishing the stage!
In reply to Bob:

He tweeted earlier that he was "unlikely" to continue as he couldn't walk without crutches. Jeez these guys are hard. And stupid. He should have added that it was merely a flesh wound ! As I understand it low speed crashes are often worse than high speed ones, although in my experience, they all hurt. I've always managed to get home, but getting back on the bike the next day is another matter.
Fidman 03 Sep 2015

the word is he was pushed on to the barrier accidentally, I think the cameras missed it

Lovely scenery, nice of the riders not to do anything too distracting, like race. Is there much climbing on these crags ? Wish we'd seen as much of the area around calpe
 DaveHK 03 Sep 2015

Strange, slo-mo sprint today.
 nufkin 03 Sep 2015

> nice of the riders not to do anything too distracting, like race

Too bushed after yesterday?
 Pete O'Donovan 04 Sep 2015

Hi Chris,

Just caught up with yesterday's highlights on ITV player.

They were riding through some of the Lleida province crags. The huge walls filmed from the helicopter were Paret del Doll — semi-trad routes up to 300m (but not great rock). A few minutes later, having past Camarasa, they showed Sant Llorenç de Montgai, which is a major zone with plenty of single and multi-pitch bolted routes.

Having previously seen the route the stage took I'd been hoping for views of Oliana, Coll de Nargó, Abella de la Conca and Terradets (all major climbing areas) but unfortunately these occurred too early in the stage to warrant coverage.

Maybe Sky showed the whole thing?

As the ITV commentators said — Lleida is a pretty impressive place...

Pete.
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:

Thanks Pete - more impressive scenery today, not to mention that the race is boiling up nicely.

Meanwhile I seem to have perfected the art of crashing like a pro.....
 DaveHK 09 Sep 2015

Oooft! 27.5k time check and Dumoulin has 2.38 over Rodrigues.
 Mike Highbury 09 Sep 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
> Oooft! 27.5k time check and Dumoulin has 2.38 over Rodrigues.

And great to see AV on the podium!
 balmybaldwin 09 Sep 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Bloody brilliant. As long as Aru can't win it I'm happy!
 DaveHK 09 Sep 2015

> And great to see AV on the podium!

Ok I'll bite, why is seeing an unrepentant cheat on the podium a good thing?
> Bloody brilliant. As long as Aru can't win it I'm happy!

And Dutch cycling has been so clean, historically? Athletics, football... and Rabobank ceasing sponsorship of its men's team, dammit.
 balmybaldwin 09 Sep 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

And he's sitting 6th according to the Vuelta website....

Wow, this is set up really nicely. Aru has gone from having a one second lead over Purito, then a one second deficit, and now a three second deficit to Dumolin. Rodiguez and maybe even Quintana still not out of it. The next 3 stages don't have summit finishes but they are hilly, especially Saturday, so I guess we'll see a lot of attacking. I think Dumolin would have hoped for a bit more of a buffer - this could be snatched away in a sprint finish !
 DaveHK 09 Sep 2015

> And Dutch cycling has been so clean, historically?

So we're damning riders based on nationality now?
 balmybaldwin 09 Sep 2015

> And Dutch cycling has been so clean, historically? Athletics, football... and Rabobank ceasing sponsorship of its men's team, dammit.

What's that got to do with it?

I just don't like Aru... he's got one of those faces that I'd love to punch... its irrational, but I still can't stand him or his team

> What's that got to do with it?

> I just don't like Aru... he's got one of those faces that I'd love to punch... its irrational, but I still can't stand him or his team

Oh, that's ok . I thought that you might have joined the bandwagon.

Let me guess, the "bandwagon" being a dislike of Astana for no good reason - well apart from the 5 positives last year, the fact that it's run by an unrepetant doper and cheat, employs a very dodgy doctor, used blatant cheating in this race.

I've got nothing against Aru, but as long as he rides for Astana I rather he didn't win.
 Sir Chasm 09 Sep 2015

Which bandwagon? The one where Astana barely got their racing licence this year because of their doping history? The doping accusations levelled at Aru?
 balmybaldwin 09 Sep 2015

What band wagon? That Astana are intrinsically linked to current doping and have an appalling record? Or that their "sportsmanship" seems somewhat lacking?

As far as I know there's no direct evidence that Aru is implicated in anything untoward, but he's still got a face like a smacked arse
 Yanis Nayu 09 Sep 2015

> As far as I know there's no direct evidence that Aru is implicated in anything untoward, but he's still got a face like a smacked arse

I just googled him. He looks like Ed Miliband's Spitting Image puppet.
 balmybaldwin 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Its not just me then!
 Mike Highbury 10 Sep 2015
> I've got nothing against Aru, but as long as he rides for Astana I rather he didn't win.

Don't hate the player, hate the game?

Cliche bingo?
Removed User 10 Sep 2015
Quintana did remarkably well - despite the silly helmets Movistar have for TTs.
 nufkin 10 Sep 2015

> Wow, this is set up really nicely. Aru has gone from having a one second lead over Purito, then a one second deficit, and now a three second deficit to Dumolin. Rodiguez and maybe even Quintana still not out of it.

Very exciting today among the contenders, and nice that Nicolas Roche got a win.

And I'm increasingly taken by Ned'n'Dave's commentary - I wonder if there's any chance of them taking over for the TdF too?

On the subject of cliches, I think ned b should be congratulated for avoiding the phrase "heads of state" today ! or "chess on wheels". Fascinating stage, amazed there was no change on GC, and great to see Roche take the stage. And I think we saw more of zubeldia today than all those tours where he finished in the top ten
xyz 11 Sep 2015
In reply to nufkin:

> And I'm increasingly taken by Ned'n'Dave's commentary - I wonder if there's any chance of them taking over for the TdF too?

I agree they make a great commentary team, Ned's enthusiasm shines through and Dave's pro insight and indeapth first hand knowledge of the current peloton brings something fresh. It would be great to have them on the TdF.

La Vuelta is turning out to be the best GT of the year, really close very exciting racing on a stunning parcours. I'm really routing for Tom Dumoulin who's turning out to be in my top three riders of the year!

Thrilling finale - feel sorry for TD but it was just one stage too far, and too many strong rivals too close behind. The biggest fall from the top spot in a grand tour since landis in 2006 ?

And given how unpredictable the race has been, my pre-race prediction wasn't too bad !

> Rafal Majka is another good outside bet, having not overdone it at the tour

> Aru, Quintana, Froome ????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...